• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

1997 Defender Wolf speedometer restoration.

gbpmi

In Third Gear
Evening All,
Has anyone done this?

I have mine out and the outer casing has some corrosion, but not terminal.
The bezel, however, has seen better days.
It is recoverable, except that it appears to be a pressed fold around the entire circumference of the clock face.
If anyone knows how to get the bezel off without destroying it, I'm very interested to know.
Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• A Wolf speedo.jpeg
    A Wolf speedo.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 19
It is possible to remove the bezel. Using a very fine tipped screwdriver, gradually work your way round it, and ease of open. You will need to go round the entire circumference a few times to open it sufficiently to be able to remove it.
When refitting, use a set of duckbill pliers to food it back into place, ideally at 90 degree intervals initially then work all the way round.

It is possible to remove the bezel. Using a very fine tipped screwdriver, gradually work your way round it, and ease of open. You will need to go round the entire circumference a few times to open it sufficiently to be able to remove it.
When refitting, use a set of duckbill pliers to food it back into place, ideally at 90 degree intervals initially then work all the way round.

Nice one, thank you.
Looks like a pig of a job, but needs to be done.

There are quite a few videos on youtube that cover speedo restoration. Might be worth a watch before starting..?
I watched them before I posted, but they all assume the older design that has "locking tabs" bent over the clock body.
I'm yet to find one that deals with the full crimp that these 1997-era clocks have.

I've done a few in my day. Neil's description is good technique and essentially what I do, depending on the gauge of course. I always try to open the crimp the least I have to, leaving it a touch small even so that I have to kind if creep it over the formed flange on the housing when reassembling. The tighter you keep it the less you have to do to get it to stay on once back together. I don't try to re-crimp the whole thing and usually just press the tip of a flat blade screwdriver onto the lip in half a dozen places or so. You don't need much... it's not going anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom