• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

200tdi conversion

nedsmith

In Fourth Gear
Hello all, just wondering what those of you that have fitted a 200 tdi, used in the radiator/intercooler dept, the disco rads and framework would fit very well if it wasn't for the steering idler, at present it looks like the disco rad with oil cooler will fit alongside the steering idler, and pipe in OK, but the intercooler is a no no, has anyone found an alternative intercooler to fit somewhere else, I may have to go without the intercooler at the minute, and plumb direct, but I would like a one in the system if possible.

Cheers Nedsmith

you can use the discovery radiator and oil cooler, just remove the radiator and intercooler from the frame and cut off the intercooler top frame down to size of just the radiator, then weld a strip across in front of the front cross member for the bottom radiator mounts to drop into then place the top radiator frame back on top of the disco radiator and then that should come right up to the frame for the front grill, what i did then was put a couple of tacks to join the two togeather, and my radiator is mounted and really solid to, Then you can just about fit the intercooler in front of the radiator on the right hand side upside down using the bit you cut of the top radiator frame tacked to the cross member so the intercooler mounts still sit in the holes to locate it, if you cut the elbow off the bottom (now at the top) you can just about get pipes to suit, well i managed to make it all fit anyway. here is a photo of my setup, i am still in the process of completing this build so i havent long done it, i also just need to make an intercooler top mount bracket to,

IMAGE :-
189694_10150476881565603_844655602_17832262_6040402_n.jpg

There are many options for the intercooler :)

firstly, you can do what Harvey has shown.
or fit a different intercooler completely....

if you willing to put it in front of the rad, then the only limit is size, and pipework :)

a TD5 intercooler is popular.

I personally have one I got from a scrapyard.
its as wide as the rad panel!

another setup I have seen, is a custom frame, and fit the intercooler next to or above the intake manifold.

pretty much though, any intercooler will need a bit of thought to mount it, and to plumb it in...
my recommendation....go to a local scrapyard, and buy 200/300Tdi intercooler pipework, and any other turbo engines in the scrapyard (it shouldnt cost much), and then you can simply mix and match the different pipes to suit :)

Dont worry though...its quite easy :)

Harvey/Difflock, thats quite a compact setup Harvey, unfortunately on mine I have fitted theLT77 box, and I had to move the engine forward, so the rad would sit more or less ontop of the crossmember next to the idler, so I would have no room for the intercooler, unless it would go in front, but piping would be a bit messy, I wondered if anyone had fitted anything like the Peugeot under bonnet intercooler, I think there would be plenty of room up there for one, as Difflock says,I will have to have a rake around the scrapyards and see what best suits.

Cheers Nedsmith

you'll find it a bit of a problem fitting most peugeot intercoolers, i've a 406 (XUD engine) one sat on the floor and they're really wide and tall, one from a citroen bx might be more use as those sit on top of the engine and i'm certain are smaller ...

i've used a TD5 one in my 109 and it sits really nicely in front of the radiator...

randomBigEarsrebuildpictures006-2.jpg

randomBigEarsrebuildpictures007-1.jpg

randomBigEarsrebuildpictures008-1.jpg

randomBigEarsrebuildpictures011-2.jpg

randomBigEarsrebuildpictures001-3.jpg

randomBigEarsrebuildpictures002-4.jpg

randomBigEarsrebuildpictures003-5.jpg

randomBigEarsrebuildpictures013-1.jpg

randomBigEarsrebuildpictures001-1.jpg

none of that might be of any use tho if you're having to move the radiator too far forwards, so the next suggestion would to be to mount it flat with a small fan mounted on it to force air through it like the mitsubishi L200 intercooler

My disco radiator sits on the front crossmember with 2 small holes drilled (and grommeted) for location.

the back of the rad (engine side), is flush with the front crossmember back edge.

the intercooler I fitted required the rad panel to be trimmed a fair bit, but it all fits behind the rad panel in its standard location :D

Nitemare/Difflock, Thats another tidy setup, with my radiator where it is now, I have about 2" between it and the water pump, I want to save this space for an electric fan if required, I have been trying the intercooler in front of the rad today, but this may involve moving the grill forward, I have a defender bonnet lying around somewhere so if necessary I could do that, but don't want to change the look of the motor, the TD5 one looks like it might be the way to go.

Cheers Nedsmith

Hey there,

Ive done this conversion also and although there is no right or wrong way to do it, for me personaly this was the easiest way. I used the standard S3 rad in its original location, I also used an intercooler from a 300tdi as the pipework exits the intercooler on one side and not in the middle.

This allows the intercooler to be fitted inside the rad panel in front of the radiator with enough spacing for a slim fit universal push type electric fan (which is all fitted to mine). This set up works really well and you rarely (if ever) need to use the fan except on really hot days when static for more than 10 mins..

This here was the thread that I wrote about my install, see what you think..

https://www.lrukforums.com/showthread.php/197391-200tdi-amp-SIII

If you need any help just give us a shout, there's plenty folks on here already done the conversion.

Daz.

similar to WHS ^
I used the standard rad, a 300 tdi intercooler and an aftermarket 12 row oil cooler. Added bonus was that on a 6 pot, I can keep the viscous fan.

All of which doesn't healp you I am afraid as you have changed the gearbox and moved the engine forward. Are your lights in wings or front panel?

Daz/Alexia, some great information there, very neat job. Being on top of the crossmember my rad is quite a bit further forward than yours, I took the rad framework level with the outside of the chassis, this leaves me with a couple of inches between the side of the rad and the frame which I was hoping to open up, by cutting and welding the frame for enough room to get a pipe through, may have to reshape the inner wing to allow this, at the other side there is plenty of room for pipes above the Steering Relay been looking localy today for a td5 intercooler, but no luck as yet.
I may have to leave it out, until I can get one, does anyone know what the power loss is, with no intercooler? just curious.
My lights are in the wings, so that helps a bit, I am going to mount the air cleaner fore and aft above the injector pump, this will work in well for the pipework into the turbo.

Cheers Nedsmith

I used a Peugeut Saloon intercooler.

I think its a 406/407 turbo diesel one.

it required a bit of careful measurement to trim the inner wing,(so the pipe stub would fit), but with the pipes that came with the intercooler, some other pipes (200 and 300Tdi disco ones mostly), and a bit of pipe trimming/shortening it all fitted nicely.

the luxury with the intercooler I used, is its only about 1.5" thick (excluding the pipe stubs).
so you dont need much room between the rad and the rad panel.

What about a shogun or terrano intercooler ? they both sit on top of the engine and have a scoop in the bonnet to direct the airflow

pretty much ANY intercooler can be fitted with a bit of thought :)

I initially used a Mitsubishi Delica intercooler for my 200Tdi, but I wanted more performance, so fitted a bigger intercooler, tweaked the fuelling etc :)

Difflock/Wozza, the td5 looks to be the easiest to fit, so I will hang fire till I get one, there are a couple on ebay at the minute, but they might make silly money, this rolling chassis when I bought it had new aftermarket wheels on it, and the centres must be thicker than a normal wheel, because you can't get a full nut onto the studs, the studs will have to be changed for longer ones, need about another 1/4 3/8" of an inch, is there anyone catering for this, or will studs off something else fit, Disco, Rangrover etc.
Got the air cleaner mounted today on a framework above the injector pump, which bolts to the mounting holes where the air conditioning pump used to live, got that plumbed in and also the oil cooler pipes reshaped and fitted to the rad, it was not necessary to cut or extend them. It's amazing when you are doing something like this, 90% of your time is spent mulling things over, and 10% actualy doing the job.

cheers Nedsmith

It's amazing when you are doing something like this, 90% of your time is spent mulling things over, and 10% actualy doing the job.

cheers Nedsmith

that's how most of my build has been achieved, primarily due to me wanting this one to be tidy...

your wheelstuds can be got from either of the 'addocks, it sounds like you need the ones to suit wolf wheels

Cheers NiteMare, I will check the addocks sites, I looked at these again today and the fronts are just flush with the nuts so may be OK but the rears are at least a couple of threads short.
Cheers Nedsmith

NiteMare, Hope mine turns out as well as that, very nice job indeed, Just bought a td5 intercooler of ebay tonight, so that should hopefully arrive midweek £40 is that expensive??? seemed sort of reasonable to me, though I wouldn't have wanted to pay much more than that.
Once thats fitted I will be able to see whre the frontpanel is going to fit, and whether I need to use the defender bonnet.

Cheers Nedsmith

£40 for an intercooler from Ebay isnt bad actually...

I think they are well over £200 new.

I know the allisport high performance intercoolers for a 200/300Tdi (same size and fittings as the original, but better designed and more efficient) are over £400

If you went to a local scrappy, you may have found a TD5 intercooler for £20~£30, but you would have to remove it yourself :)
But £40 is a bargain in my opinion....well done :)

You shouldnt need to use a defender bonnet.

you can trim the rad panel right back (including the rolled lips if required) and I cant see a reason it wont all fit.

tdi200 has a series with a 200Tdi, LT77, a TD5 intercooler and PAS all behind a series front.
a bit of trimming is all you should need to do...

i'm always very patient about buying parts for my project, even from ebay, got my radiator a week or so back which took about 3-4 months to appear on ebay, very good condition one for £25 collected, only 25 miles away and just round the corner from some friends so it was a two for one journey :D, my intercooler came from the Newbury Autojumble just a tenner, my hoses and airpipes have cost nothing as i went round the scrapyards scrounging the ones they'd cut when removing engines so i could make my own up out of the sections i needed (i still need a header tank and electric fan though) ....

the two most expensive items i've bought so far have been my disco 300tdi turbo at £75 and the bloody paint/thinners which has totalled at near as dammit £200 :(

just really glad that my engine worked out as a free item along with a few other little bits i might use, i bought and broke a cheap disco for the engine (i also ripped out the wiring harness to strip and build my own harness out of) i'm just shy of £1100 in this project including buying it, hopefully it'll not get much more cash out of my pocket

i'm one of those hoarder types that you might see on tv as having way too much junk but i only hoard stuff that i can adapt and use or sell on/scrap (my garden looks like a breakers yard) i see no point in throwing away something i can see me probably wanting/needing if i can see a space to store it in, a couple of my neighbours kept saying they'd scrap my junk at one time but i think they've seen the light as i think they've noticed how much of it i do re-use :D

i'm now nearly at the point where i'll not have to put any more cash into this project (i want a couple of switches and vent/door seals) and hopefully all i've left to do is finish off by lifting the tub off and repairing the back end of the chassis (i have had a crossmember sat in my garage longer than i've owned this 109 :D )...

having a daily driver means that projects can be allowed to take thier time and costs can be kept down or at least spread over a long period

i hope this little ramble hasn't bored you too much

Back
Top Bottom