• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

2010 Disco 4 3l tdv6 starting issue

Si789

First Gear
Hi all just thought it was worthwhile posting my recent experience with a starting problem I've just had with my disco 4 3l tdv6
I went to start her and just got full power to dash but just clicking of ECU's and relays, occasionally you could hear the starter bendix trying to engage but that's as far is it went and you got the battery lamp on the dash.

20200417_102535.jpg

As the bendix was trying on occasions to engage and the dash had full power I just assumed the starter was knackered and not an earth issue so I ordered a new one from bearmach. Given the current climate with the Corona virus I wasn't expecting a quick response but hats off to them and DHL as it arrived the next day 🙂. So I set to stripping the old starter off which was an absolute pig as I couldn't get the main positive lead off due to access issues but after a bit of persuasion I got the starter off. Getting the new one on was much easier thankfully after bending the end of the power lead eyelet to give me more clearance to allow a socket to fit. Unfortunately to my disappointment she still didn't start so I ran a jump lead from the starter body to the negative terminal on the battery and she started straight away, talk about annoying but at least I found the issue. I then ran the lead to chassis to see if it was the chassis to engine earth and she didn't start. Then tried chassis to body and she started again so I set out to find the chassis to body earth strap which I found located under the rhs wheel arch liner.

20200417_102613.jpg

The issue was the earth strap was badly corroded so was allowing some power but not enough to allow the car to start.

20200417_102624.jpg

After a quick trip to halfords to get a new negative lead, I cut the lead in half and made 2 leads as I didn't think the one lead was big enough. I fitted the new leads and cut the old the earth strap away, jumped in and she started 😁.

20200417_130358.jpg

20200417_131119.jpg

I'm also hoping this is the reason why recently when towing she kept going into low power mode as I've already cleaned the air mass sensors and no change, but time will tell on that one. I hope this has been useful to people, thanks for reading Simon

Hello…. I would like to thank you for this brilliant post…just had the same issue …with a sudden non starting disco 4…and suspected started motor Solenoid …….thanks to your excellent write up… I stripped the front liner off and found exactly the same corroded earth strap…..quick bypass with a jump lead and started straight away….saving me a fortune .!

Hey, I’ve had exactly the same issue but…. When I tried to bypass the earth strap straight onto the starter it wouldn’t start. Whereabouts did you connect it to on the starter. Like you I replaced the starter and no joy

Hello…. I would like to thank you for this brilliant post…just had the same issue …with a sudden non starting disco 4…and suspected started motor Solenoid …….thanks to your excellent write up… I stripped the front liner off and found exactly the same corroded earth strap…..quick bypass with a jump lead and started straight away….saving me a fortune .!
Hi wondered if you could help. I’ve got the same issue and the main dealer is quoting over £500 in labour. Scandalous. I need to be able to drive it from the dealership to do the repair myself could you please let me know the procedure for by pass with a jump lead to start it? Thankyou

As a temp fix before I did mine, I fixed a small/temp earth from the fixings on the body in front of the battery box to a bracket on the top of the engine. This had to filed to give a good metal/metal surface - that got mine home!

Hi all just thought it was worthwhile posting my recent experience with a starting problem I've just had with my disco 4 3l tdv6
I went to start her and just got full power to dash but just clicking of ECU's and relays, occasionally you could hear the starter bendix trying to engage but that's as far is it went and you got the battery lamp on the dash.

View attachment 149885

As the bendix was trying on occasions to engage and the dash had full power I just assumed the starter was knackered and not an earth issue so I ordered a new one from bearmach. Given the current climate with the Corona virus I wasn't expecting a quick response but hats off to them and DHL as it arrived the next day 🙂. So I set to stripping the old starter off which was an absolute pig as I couldn't get the main positive lead off due to access issues but after a bit of persuasion I got the starter off. Getting the new one on was much easier thankfully after bending the end of the power lead eyelet to give me more clearance to allow a socket to fit. Unfortunately to my disappointment she still didn't start so I ran a jump lead from the starter body to the negative terminal on the battery and she started straight away, talk about annoying but at least I found the issue. I then ran the lead to chassis to see if it was the chassis to engine earth and she didn't start. Then tried chassis to body and she started again so I set out to find the chassis to body earth strap which I found located under the rhs wheel arch liner.

View attachment 149890

The issue was the earth strap was badly corroded so was allowing some power but not enough to allow the car to start.

View attachment 149891

After a quick trip to halfords to get a new negative lead, I cut the lead in half and made 2 leads as I didn't think the one lead was big enough. I fitted the new leads and cut the old the earth strap away, jumped in and she started 😁.

View attachment 149892

View attachment 149893

I'm also hoping this is the reason why recently when towing she kept going into low power mode as I've already cleaned the air mass sensors and no change, but time will tell on that one. I hope this has been useful to people, thanks for reading Simon
Interesting your comments on the limp mode while towing. I have the same on mi disco. I too have put 2 earth leads from the chassis to the engine and the other to the gearbox.

Back
Top Bottom