• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

2012 L322 - rust

redxl77

In Fourth Gear
What are the views on this rust for this age of vehicle? It has averaged about 13k miles from new each year.

The first picture is the underside of the spare wheel well.

The fourth pic is trying to show some rust on the rear arch. From the exterior, there is no bubbling etc.

I was a bit disappointed to see that the subframes are powder coated rather than painted.

I am used to defenders/series' where rust is easily treated and limited in scope.

It's a shame the first owners of these vehicles never knew anything about rust prevention.. Is this rust to be expected now, is it worth tackling or should I sadly return it to the dealer I bought it from? (The Range Rover presented the dealer with a suspension fault just before I collected it so I think I'd be able to).

Attachments

• tempImageH2ECc5.jpg
    tempImageH2ECc5.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 171
  • tempImageVPZ4HB.jpg
    tempImageVPZ4HB.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 153
  • tempImagezOQgeT.jpg
    tempImagezOQgeT.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 148
  • tempImageG2vSol.jpg
    tempImageG2vSol.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 136
  • tempImagepp3dLA.jpg
    tempImagepp3dLA.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 160
  • tempImageuJq8AC.jpg
    tempImageuJq8AC.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 139
  • tempImageRetrHa.jpg
    tempImageRetrHa.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 135
  • tempImageeQkl7U.jpg
    tempImageeQkl7U.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Id expect to see that amount of rust on an older vehicle or one that been wading in the sea or used to launch/recover boats etc...

My Defender is 30 years old and doesnt have that much rust.

Thanks for the responses. The guys on FFRR agree that it's more or less par for the course. Bit disappointing for a 2012 vehicle in my view, but not impossible to sort.

I don't like it for 12 years old. Our Zafira has less than that at 20 years and 180k miles and my 30 year old Merc has a lot less. My worry would be its been in a salty environment and got corrosion inside the structure. I got caught with a car that looked good but had been near the coast, it was essentially falling apart from the inside. Luckily it got written off with flood damage, phew!

Back
Top Bottom