• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

2a clutch

Dean S

Shifting Up
Put a new clutch in the project 2a today, put it all bag together and I can't engage the gears. Took the gear lever out and removed the little plate on the top of the bell housing, and I could see the clutch was definately operating and the diaphram was compressing. Tried adjusting the master cylinder, no difference, adjusted the operating rod on the slave cylinder, no difference. In desperation I made a longer operating rod, about and inch longer, but still can't engage the gears.
In reflection, this fault is the reason I repaced the clutch in the first place, when removing the old diaphram it was obviously warped, the thrust pad was at an angle.
My thoughts are, either I put the drive plate in backwards, or the clutch operating system in the bell housing is worn. It just puzzles me that I can see the clutch working through the inspection hole.
Just thought of a third reason, could there be a burr on the shaft, stopping the plate moving?
Whats your thoughts, any ideas appreciated.
Dean

If it aint broke, you aint trying hard enough!

Gidday Dean
I have never managed to do it, but I understand that it is possible to fit the disc the wrong way round thus rendering the clutch inoperable. The boss in the centre, should be facing away from the flywheel.

I have found, however, that 99% of clutch problems on the 2A are from worn X-shaft components, the pins & holes get worn to the extent that they soak up most of the movement.

You say you can see the diaphram moving, but is it moving enough?

All I can think of at the moment.

Ash

I note that on another board, you have been advised to grease the shaft splines where the clutch rides. My advice is "dont". The grease attracts all the crap in creation and the clutch disc starts to bind on the shaft in fairly short order.

I also would be surprised if there is a sprag on the shaft catching the disc. [Although, I have been surprised before - and no doubt, will be surprised again!]

A thought crosses my mind, the shaft wouldnt be binding in the spigot bearing would it? This would present the symptoms you describe.

Ash

I'm inclined to agree with Ash.
If it is the cause, replace the pins with HT set screws & check the holes for ovality ( did you like that word ?);) ;)

Des.:cool:

been down local landy garage and purchased new pins for the cross shaft, after examining the shaft I noticed that when pushing down on the operating arm, it moves with a jerk, but the clutch bearing doesn't. therefore I,m hoping that one of the pins has snapped in situ, thereby soaking up some of the movement. While I was there I bought a new spigot bush just in case!
Dean

Back
Top Bottom