• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

6bt powered 110

dannym2710

Trekker
I’m crap at these threads. No, really, I forget I’ve started them and never take pictures until it’s too late; but I’ll try!

This project started off waaaaay too long ago. It was kickstarted by a conversation with a friend regarding an engineless 110 csw he had lying at his mothers farm. I decided a rotten 110 was the perfect thing for me…….

It became clear just how rotten she was when the chassis broke its back being strapped to the trailer…..

The decision was made to go pickup. I’ve always wanted a 110 pickup and it seemed sensible, with the intial plan to go dropside trayback. That was, until another mate sent me a link for a hi cap tub for peanuts. I’ve always loved the hicap, especially when they’re placed on some beefy tyres and suspension so why not.

I had considered pulling the 300tdi out of my disco however it developed an unhealthy obsession with crapping itself so the hunt was on. At some point yet another mate decided to encourage me to stuff a 6bt in there, and with me working on obscenely large engines anyways it wasn’t a long conversation!

The 6bt duly arrived and proceeded to take up most of the small drive. It was joined by a shielder galv chassis and the wedding was beautiful, if not a little scary when the engine crane leg snapped! I was seriously unhappy with the quality of several off the shelf conversion parts so lots of rework was done to make them work properly, and a 1:1 ratio transfer case was acquired.
A knackered short nose 4 pin diff was gifted to me and so I set about on the lathe making it fit into a long nose casing. Not a horribly difficult job but took some head scratching.

Here, for various reasons progress ground to a halt, until mid 22 when we moved to a house with a barn! The 110 was dragged out of her hiding place in a mates field and brought home, and instantly showed my up by being seized solid. Cue much swearing and shouting, a rebore and sleeve of number 4 and we were back in business. Ashcrofts had also started to do a 0.9 ratio kit for the lt230 so one was bought, and built into the box 4 times before I got it right (bloody covid Induced wooly headedness)
Which brings us to today. Currently she’s in need of a few more jobs, not least that bast*rd left hand gearbox mount to stop it leaning over!!!
She’s still requiring:

Shafts
Dash fitting
Windscreen (I definitely didn’t put my fist through the last one in a fit of rage whilst trying to fit it……)
Gearbox tunnel
Body crossmember massaging to clear disk handbrake
Audi s line seats grafting in
Air system piping up

0ED35F87-CD96-4764-83FC-79781DC879D1.jpeg
5290CB2F-D0F7-41CB-8FD2-5EA0C515647F.jpeg
D036CE25-65B5-46E5-933D-62C41CDD30E0.jpeg
D59F58F4-9ED7-4B3E-8A4B-79DC4B2643BD.jpeg
3AF7CC96-0C9C-46FA-BBEB-4B3087D1E470.jpeg
7B965E3F-04F2-42D8-93E1-3D8F009762A7.jpeg
35C837BE-F16C-438D-9B29-2451C0BC613C.jpeg
F40C059A-EE28-4CCC-BAA2-B0FA0FE37027.jpeg
4950F0E0-EBAB-42E6-BA43-83A77D795D81.jpeg
55015012-7B8D-40D9-892E-F4484EA344C4.jpeg
C83781E6-E459-428B-A0B4-B33CBE819CF4.jpeg
BF566881-A466-45E8-9BC5-3508D5D2A79C.jpeg

I drove this beast around South America for a while, it had a big 6 cylinder Cummins engine, not sure what it was though. The best thing about it was it had a Jake brake, awesome things, especially when you are flying about in the Andes..
Bol River.JPG
This was up at about 5000 meters in Bolivia.

Got the brakes fitted and bled all round, converted the rear from drums to disks, fitted the x-eng handbrake which require some modding of the body xmember, wheel spacers all round and the clutch slave on and piped, although I ran out of brake fluid so bleeding can wait

As always, I’m naff at keeping up with these threads but…..

Quite a lot of progress has been made of late!

She drove under her own steam for the first time in 15ish years , to get out of the barn and into the workshop! No cooling system yet so it was first gear and away. Hadn’t connected the power steering at that point and manoeuvring her into the workshop on 37” tyres nearly ended me!!

Induction side has now been completely piped up, took some head scratching and involved cutting the manifold so I could flip the turbo and lower it slightly but we got there.

Brakes and clutch are now completely piped up in Goodrich’s finest stainless braided an hose, much easier than bending hard lines!

Cab is nearly complete. I did an about face with the Mazda seats and went back to the standard defender seats on risers, although I did install seat heaters in them. Cubby box is now 4” higher due to a Chinese diesel heater being installed under it, and all wiring for aux equipment now goes through a solid state relay unit with a push button control unit mounted above the rear view mirror.

Rear wiring is all but done, just a little more to add in the fuel level sender and all is happy in the world on that front!

Front diff was removed as I wasn’t happy with the machining I did to wedge the 4 pin short nose carrier in. More clearance was machined on the crown wheel carrier edges so now that worry is gone.

Currently 2/3 of the way through building an arb-esque winch bumper and roo bar, I now have relatively free use of a cnc plasma cutter and 250t pressbrake which makes life a little easier there! As mentioned in another thread I’ve got a Chinese special 20k lb winch given with some gremlins, currently machining some new parts to upgrade the Chinese pot metal components within.

Power steering is now piped and working. Pressure had to be reduced to a landrover friendly setting, involving changing the spring pressure on the internal pressure relief. I could have paid 150 quid for someone to do it, what I actually did was a bit of google fu resulting in a 25p spring being ordered and spent a couple hours poking the pump. Minor trauma was experienced when bleeding the pump- it was gone and then wasn’t, then reverted to fine again. When I emerged from the cab I remembered why my last thought was “tighten the Union on the pump”, as my roller shutter was painted a lovely shade of ATF red…….. just got to make some brackets to weld onto the PS header tank I made and she can be bolted up onto her mounts properly.

Next mission is sorting the lower water hose/alternator bracket. One is commercially available however the last one I saw in person had more bubbles in the welds than an aero bar, so I’ll continue my tradition of being a tight git and make my own. Then I need to pipe the air tank up, with the unloader valve for the compressor and the feeds to the clutch, an external air line and the diff lock shifter.

I have a feeling a proper test drive will throw up the need to get the shafts balanced, but all in good time dear boy!

Back
Top Bottom