• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Air / coupled brakes

black ranger

Accelerating Away
Has any body fitted AIR / COUPLED BRAKES to their series truck so that they can have a towing weight of up to 4000kg's ? i know that matt savage sells a compressor that states the use of air brakes. also can a normal trailer be converted to air brakes?

many thanks

matt

Has any body fitted AIR / COUPLED BRAKES to their series truck so that they can have a towing weight of up to 4000kg's ? i know that matt savage sells a compressor that states the use of air brakes. also can a normal trailer be converted to air brakes?

many thanks

matt

Wouldn't like to tow 4 tonnes in a series landy air brakes or not!!

I want the air brakes so that, i think, i can tow more safely than the standard overun brakes that are normally fitted to trailers. i wouldn't be towing 4 tons either maybe at the extreme end it would be 3.5 ton.

Matt

Overrun brakes are fine if they are working properly, air brakes are generally not proportional on these sort of trailer applications, although they do have the option of separate trailer braking, which you cannot do with overrun.

For the cost of the conversion, I'd say they were a very marginal benefit, and a Series with 11" brakes can do as good a job with correctly working overrun braking.

Peter

I used to tow quite a lot with my Series IIA and can't say I every had any problems stopping. A properly maintained trailer with working overrun brakes should be all that is needed up to the maximum permitted weight.

My IIA had no servo but it did have its brakes fully overhauled otherwise - new wheel and master cylinders, new flexible brake hoses, new brake drums and new brake shoes. If the brakes on the Land Rover and the trailer work as designed I feel there's no need for additional trailer braking.

If I found myself needing to recover vehicles on a regular basis with a towing a-frame I'd look at something like this

Sarah

According to land rover the max towing weight is only 2 ton but you can tow 4 ton with coupled brakes. what i would like to do, in my future wish list, is build a fifth wheel/gooseneck crew cab series 2a 109 and to make it usable it would need the coupled brakes.
Matt

in my future wish list, is build a fifth wheel/gooseneck crew cab series 2a 109 and to make it usable it would need the coupled brakes.Matt

......and a tachograph fitted, and find room for all this!

Attachments

• Air_brakes3..jpg
    Air_brakes3..jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 424
  • Air_brakes2..jpg
    Air_brakes2..jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 854
  • Air_brakes1..jpg
    Air_brakes1..jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 348
If you have decent "Working" brakes on your trailer, what would be the need for all the expense of fitting air?
Been towing trailers a very long time and always ensure my brakes are working correctly, therefore I dont need anything else ;)
Even had a 5 tonne forklift behind once and it all pulled up to a complete stop without any issues at all (yes I know I was way over the limit lol, as the hole in the floor would have told you)
If you want air brakes and all the problems they will probably give you, go out and buy a lorry ;)

There wasnt much known about them, but in one of the Landy magazines, theres a small article about Swiss military series landys (S1 or S2) with air brakes, as it was apparently the law at the time....

so it has been done.....

there was a small air cannister under the bonnet coupled to the brake system....

We have just been over to Holland with our new trailer/RV, 3500kg weight and over-run braking on 3 axles, and it's a turntable drawbar type.

That works fine, but I'd be interested in looking at coupled brakes if it was an option that was practical to fit and not outrageously expensive.

Nuenen2011101.jpg

Peter

I believe that the kit required to convert a Defender for trailer air brakes is about £1500 - £2000. Then there would be fitting say £900. The cost of converting the trailer depends on how many axles there are, but I think that the kits for a single axle trailer start at about £500.

For the vehicle the kit comprises a 12v motor fitted to a compressor and a reservoir. Then there is a valve that senses the vehicle braking oil pressure and this provides a corresponding braking air pressure for the trailer. There is a second air line to the trailer that is at constant high pressure. If this gets cut then the air pressure to the trailer is lost and the brakes come on.

For a 110, a good place to install this is between the axles under the vehicle. There are also obviously a few switches and the associated air pipes to install.

Another supplier of these kits is Erentek in Lincoln. Erentek come very highly recommended.

http://www.erentek.co.uk/conv-kits.htm

Back
Top Bottom