• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

And just like that it’s all stopped!

JP200

Accelerating Away
Hi,

My 300tdi 90 1997 County took me 20 mins to the recycling centre yesterday for a ‘quick trip’ to drop some bits off, but I returned some 6 hrs later on a low loader 😑

No issue getting there but when I went to leave, non start.

Turned key, ign lights on but just a click. Tried again, ign lights, click turn then no ign lights, no click no crank no nothing.

I have no ign lights, even the clock and door courtesy lights are inop.
What I do have is, an alarm that I can hear clicking when I press the fob (LR) but no flashing lights, the horn still works with the alarm and there’s a secondary siren under the bonnet somewhere that still works. The side lights still work but not headlights, the hazards do not work. It won’t take a jump but the battery is over 12.6v anyway. I have no lights on the dash at all aside from the dial lights when I put the sidelights on.

I’ve no idea where to start. All fuses in cab look fine but I’ve no idea if there are in lines.

So before I start pulling bits apart, any suggestions? Anyone recognise these symptoms?
Thanks, James

IMG_4793.jpeg

The yellow 20A is good, the next 60A up is good, the next 60A has clearly blown and the green one makes a siren go off under the bonnet if I take it out

Here's the wiring diagram: https://www.lrworkshop.com/wiring-diagram/defender-1997-300tdi/charging-starting/300tdi

One of the 60A fuses is the glow plugs, the other the main ignition and core power circuits. I'm guessing from your description it's the main one that's blown.

As a first stab, you could swap the good 60A in for the blown one. At this time of year, it'll likely start without glowplugs. Although if the fuse goes again immediately, there's a bigger wiring issue that you'll need to trace...

Here's the wiring diagram: https://www.lrworkshop.com/wiring-diagram/defender-1997-300tdi/charging-starting/300tdi

One of the 60A fuses is the glow plugs, the other the main ignition and core power circuits. I'm guessing from your description it's the main one that's blown.

As a first stab, you could swap the good 60A in for the blown one. At this time of year, it'll likely start without glowplugs. Although if the fuse goes again immediately, there's a bigger wiring issue that you'll need to trace...
Perfect thanks 🍻🍻

That worked 👍🏼

Can’t see anywhere open today to get another 60A

Have a look on amazon, I got mine from there when I had starting issues (bloody alarm at fault), as they are monster fuses I'm not sure they would be an easy find at a standard motor factors, might be wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom