• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Any Ideas?

pyr4us

Shifting Up
Opened the hood on our 2003 Land Rover Freelander SE - started up and there was some type of fluid squirting from the line near the GREEN cap. I shoved the line into the GREEN cap and the squirting stopped. From the front of the vehicle, this line is located on the right side of the engine between battery and firewall (closer to the firewall). What is the name of this line? What fluid is in this line? Should I order a new line? Any comments are appreciated - many thanks.

Daniel

IMG_9585.jpg
IMG_9587.jpg

IMG_9584.jpg

No idea, but the default fix for this type of problem is to cut 1 dia lenght off the hose and push it back on, this makes it grip better if its gone a bit hard.

So by the looks of it you have the 2.5l KV6 petrol engine.
I THINK the green cap is part of the FUEL feed to the injectors.
The only illustrations I could find that seemed to match were these :-

wmln011n_KV6_pp93.png

I think your green cap fits onto the end of the fuel feed pipe at point 2.

and

wmln012e6_NonNAS.png

Hope this helps

So by the looks of it you have the 2.5l KV6 petrol engine.
I THINK the green cap is part of the FUEL feed to the injectors.
The only illustrations I could find that seemed to match were these :-

View attachment 525608

I think your green cap fits onto the end of the fuel feed pipe at point 2.

and

View attachment 525616
Hope this helps
Kretur,

A big THANK YOU for your help in trying to figure out this situation with our Rover. I do believe that you are spot on in your diagnosis – thanks again for your help. I would certainly buy you a pint at a local pub, however, I live in Seven Hills, Ohio USA.

Here is the sequence of events that prompted my post: My wife was driving her rig and parked it for a meeting. Came out, started the vehicle and it quit running – would not start. She called me and I drove over to where she was parked (twenty minutes). I opened the hood and looked like that line had come away from the green cap. I tried starting the engine and a strong-smelling fluid was spurting from the cap all aver the windshield as the hood was open. I turned the engine off and grabbed the line and sort of pushed it further into the hose and felt it sort of slide into a groove in the hose. Upon a restart the fluid stopped squirting. If one looks closely at the rubber hose side, there appears to be an indentation in the rubber where a spring clamp may have been, but is no longer there.

My theory is that the clamp failed and broke off – the steel line pulled away from the rubber hose. When it separated the engine stalled and would not start until the line was re-seated. My concern was that the fluid that was spurting out of the green cap would need to be replaced, but now we know that the fluid was gasoline (petrol).

I will put a worm style clamp on the rubber hose this afternoon and we will not have to worry about that happening again. Just a side note – my wife has a good friend who lives in Guildford – perhaps some day we could visit her and if you are not too far away, could stop by and thank you in person.

Take care,

Daniel

Back
Top Bottom