• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Arizona, Neveda and California Trek

Migz

Overdrive!
I wasn't quite sure how to post this endevour, after the trip or enroute. I chose to make this a post as I go thread.

A quick overview:

Some on the fourm know I recently moved back to the US from The Netherlands following an expat assignment. While in the EU I purchased my 110 from a chap out of Belfast. Whilst living in NL I kitted out my 110 for overlanding and did as much overlanding as a I could in the three years I was there. I made two Norway trips, a couple Germany and Switzerland trips and one jaunt into Scottland up to Raasay. Thanks again to Paul Camilli for the 19J. A great chap with a great view of the North Sea.

The trip I am about to take in not so much an overland expedition or experience but a 2000 miles in 4 days marathon. I have to drive my 110 from Phoenix, Arizona to Chico, California. I am leaving Thursday 7 April and returning to Phoenix on Sunday April 10. The trip clocks out at just over 1000 miles one way. Over the course of the trip I plan to drive from Phoenix to Las Vegas, Neveda on to the Sierra Neveda Moutians in California and return via the California Central Valley to Los Angeles on through Palm Springs and return to Phoenix.

Reason for the trip:

Prior to leaving the US I kept bees. Due to the move to NL, I had to give my hives up. I have not had bees for the last 4 going on 5 years. Now that I am established back in the US I am starting new hives. In the past it was quite simple to get bees locally here in Arizona, however since Covid, Arizona bee keeping has been decimated. Farms that used to sell bees have either gone out of business or are no longer selling off bees. This gets me to my trip.

I have to drive to Chico, California to collect a couple of new hives I purchased. Since Covid California is also experiencing the same difficulties with honey bees. There are a couple farms in Southern California that deal in bees, however they are bees collected from the wild and have some degree of Africanization. It is becoming difficult to find Italian and Carniolan bees.

Well, that is the brief. I will be posting a summary and pictures daily. The 110 is running very well and driven daily so the preparation should be minimal. Oil change and packing is tomorrow.

I wasn't quite sure how to post this endevour, after the trip or enroute. I chose to make this a post as I go thread.

A quick overview:

Some on the fourm know I recently moved back to the US from The Netherlands following an expat assignment. While in the EU I purchased my 110 from a chap out of Belfast. Whilst living in NL I kitted out my 110 for overlanding and did as much overlanding as a I could in the three years I was there. I made two Norway trips, a couple Germany and Switzerland trips and one jaunt into Scottland up to Raasay. Thanks again to Paul Camilli for the 19J. A great chap with a great view of the North Sea.

The trip I am about to take in not so much an overland expedition or experience but a 2000 miles in 4 days marathon. I have to drive my 110 from Phoenix, Arizona to Chico, California. I am leaving Thursday 7 April and returning to Phoenix on Sunday April 10. The trip clocks out at just over 1000 miles one way. Over the course of the trip I plan to drive from Phoenix to Las Vegas, Neveda on to the Sierra Neveda Moutians in California and return via the California Central Valley to Los Angeles on through Palm Springs and return to Phoenix.

Reason for the trip:

Prior to leaving the US I kept bees. Due to the move to NL, I had to give my hives up. I have not had bees for the last 4 going on 5 years. Now that I am established back in the US I am starting new hives. In the past it was quite simple to get bees locally here in Arizona, however since Covid, Arizona bee keeping has been decimated. Farms that used to sell bees have either gone out of business or are no longer selling off bees. This gets me to my trip.

I have to drive to Chico, California to collect a couple of new hives I purchased. Since Covid California is also experiencing the same difficulties with honey bees. There are a couple farms in Southern California that deal in bees, however they are bees collected from the wild and have some degree of Africanization. It is becoming difficult to find Italian and Carniolan bees.

Well, that is the brief. I will be posting a summary and pictures daily. The 110 is running very well and driven daily so the preparation should be minimal. Oil change and packing is tomorrow.
Safe travels Migz, look forward to seeing some pictures..

Overland lite. Got the 110 packed tonght, oil changed and fluids checked. Off in the morning. I am planning to make Mono Lake, Ca for the first overnight stay. Mono Lake is where the Clint Eastwood movie High Plains Drifter was filmed. Random trivia.

IMG_1667.JPG IMG_1668.JPG

Quite jeajous. Would love to do a US road trip. Especially if a few western movie locations are involved...
A mate rode Route 66 a few years back and Id love to do that before I get too old!

Sounds like it'll be a challenging & rewarding excursion.

At least you've got some sunshine & clear skies to start you off!

A quick overview:

Reason for the trip:

Good luck with that mate sounds an awesome adventure..keep safe ..
the 110 looks well up for it ..

Quick picture dump from the road… got a late start. Burned up an ignition box 60 miles from Phoenix. I was able to limp the 110 back to PHX to get a new one but it cost me 3 hours and 120 extra miles. Made 640 miles on the first day. Driving through the Sierra Nevada’s today.

4B4A7A7C-440E-4F6F-B946-5EB7B29F9C82.jpeg

C3D5D208-28A1-41A9-A518-E75E3C45984F.jpeg
8FFFE635-4B9C-42EF-BF29-FB590098D69E.jpeg3A52813B-27EA-4275-8E2E-E0F5F3918729.jpeg8AAF138F-2432-4BC9-834B-203C8EF8C515.jpegBC7D004B-B3D2-4E8D-B890-72604691290C.jpeg6C4CB269-BF7C-47A0-B897-49925607424B.jpeg

Good lord, that is what a Defender was always meant to do in my mind.

Keep posting and allow me to live life carelessly through your travels :)

I made it home to Phoenix late last night. I drove 14 hours and 10 minutes continuous, fuel stops of course. Total distance for the day 970 miles. Total for the trip 1970 miles in 3 days. The lowest elevation I saw was 20 meters ASL, max 2700 meters ASL. The steepest grade I drove up and down was 8%. Higest temp 37 C lowest 4 C.

After replacing the ignition module I had no aditional problems for the entire trip. The 110 is dead reliable. I was suprised. I thought for sure I would have an over temp problem, a leak, something. Not a single problem. I am running an absolutly stock 3.5L with the HIF44 SU's. The only mods to the engine are the MSD ignition and some porting on the heads. I didn't hold back, I beat that poor motor. I had that 3.5 reved so high for so long a couple times I thought the rods would fly out the block for sure. I have new respect for that motor. It isn't the most powerfull V8 but it is a stout and reliable unit that makes some of the best sounds of any V8 out there, big blocks included. I have tried to hate this motor, I have tried to kill this motor but I have come to really appreciate it. The only fault I can really find is the efficiency. It should get better mileage / gallon for the power it puts out. This is totally due to the heads chamber and port design also being carburetted. An outdated design. You may be wondering what the MPG or Km/L was for the trip. I didn't bother to track it. We all know it's terrible and it wasn't the point of the excercise.

The point of the trip was to drive a classic Land Rover 2000 miles through deserts and mountains. As Geobloke stated, this is what Defenders are made to do. I wholeheartedly agree. It was a great trip. I love to drive and I love cars of all stripes however driving an old 110 that is RHD, and a V8 for a couple thousand miles is a special thing.

I have one more overlanding trip planned for this season. I will be taking the family to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Looks like the June time frame. After that I will be taking the 110 off the road for some needed repairs on the frame, bulkhead and an engine upgrade.

A parting comment, the backside is a bit sore and I should probably get a new seat cushion.

Cheers!

-------
Here are a few pics. I also have a few videos but I have to load them to the you tube first then link to them, I will have them up in the next day or two.

This was were I camped the first night. literally on the side of the road. I popped the tent at 1AM and left at 9 AM the next morning. The place was so remote and deserted that whilst there maybe 10 lorries passed by. I had to add fuel to the main tank from the jerry can to make it to the next town for a fill up.
IMG_1743.JPGIMG_1744.JPGIMG_1746.JPGIMG_1747.JPGIMG_1752.JPGIMG_1768.JPG

Picture from outside Big Pine, Ca. The mountains in the background are the Sierra Neveda's. The peaks are over 14,000 ft/ 4200 M.

IMG_1771.JPG IMG_1783.JPGIMG_1790.JPGIMG_1801.JPG

What does one do when at 2700 Meters? One has a beer.

IMG_1845.JPG

Lake Tahoe is massive. If you look close in the picture you will see a large tourist cruise boat coming into a harbor.

IMG_1858.JPG

Driving in LA
If you zoom in on the first pic you can make out the skyscapers of downtown. Total luck that I caught the old 60's car in the pic.

IMG_1878.JPG

IMG_1879.JPGIMG_1881.JPGIMG_1889.jpg

Because it's LA and anything can happen on the freeway. Everyone loves a good fire. This type of event is more common than you would think.

IMG_1872.jpgIMG_1873.jpgIMG_1874.jpg

Driving in LA
If you zoom in on the first pic you can make out the skyscapers of downtown. Total luck that I caught the old 60's car in the pic.

View attachment 283016

View attachment 283017View attachment 283018View attachment 283019

Because it's LA and anything can happen on the freeway. Everyone loves a good fire. This type of event is more common than you would think.

View attachment 283020View attachment 283021View attachment 283022
Good to see he dropped the trailer..probably brakes overheated of jammed on ..

I am trying to get my Series IIA up to spec for a road trip. My buddy and I did one way back in 2015 but not in a Landy. We drove from Saint Louis to Santa Monica the long way around taking in Boulder, New Mexico, Sedona, Utah, Nevada, and many more before ending up at the pier in Santa Monica. We have talked about an East Coast road trip from Maine to Miami, but need to make sure the Landy is up to spec.

Sounds a great trip around 1700 miles should make it in the landy ..I would like to do that some day give yourself a couple of weeks ,no rush take a few sights in .camp out …I’m there already 🙂

Sounds a great trip around 1700 miles should make it in the landy ..I would like to do that some day give yourself a couple of weeks ,no rush take a few sights in .camp out …I’m there already 🙂
It took us just over ten days and we covered 3448 miles, in hindsight I would have taken the same amount of time off and spent less of it on the road and more of it just relaxing and taking in the scenario.

I am trying to get my Series IIA up to spec for a road trip. My buddy and I did one way back in 2015 but not in a Landy. We drove from Saint Louis to Santa Monica the long way around taking in Boulder, New Mexico, Sedona, Utah, Nevada, and many more before ending up at the pier in Santa Monica. We have talked about an East Coast road trip from Maine to Miami, but need to make sure the Landy is up to spec.
That sounds like a great trip. What type of car did you do it with? If there is anything I can do to help get your SII up to snuff let me know.

You should come for a visit to Phoenix. I got the Rover and love any excuse to go on a road trip. I believe the non stop flights from Heathrow to Phoenix have resumed since C19. ;)

That sounds like a great trip. What type of car did you do it with? If there is anything I can do to help get your SII up to snuff let me know.
We used a Dodge Challenger, it was a pretty cool car, all-wheel drive, and pretty fast too. Thanks for the offer to help on the Landy, in the process of trying to diagnose
and repair an oil leak from the hand brake drum. Think it is the rear oil seal, but won't know for sure until I disassemble it at the weekend. He is a photo of the car and a few shots of the road trip. Also, for anyone interested here is a link to a website my buddy and I built on the road trip to keep our photos, you'll have to scroll down on the journal section to see the road trip but free to view all if that is of interest: www.onroadsandcameras.com
Screenshot 2022-05-03 at 06.33.53.png

Route 66 road LR. jpg.jpg

Screenshot 2022-05-03 at 06.41.11.png

Screenshot 2022-05-03 at 06.41.55.png

Take care.

Back
Top Bottom