• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

B&W plate supplier

erubus

Land Rover Buddha
Can anyone suggest a good supplier for "show" plates? Been looking online for black and white plates for Henry. He's just a couple of months shy of 40 and I'm happy enough to stick them on before that. See enough defenders going about with them! Besides, I want them for shows anyway, assuming I'll get to any this year!

All the suppliers I've looked at want to take your money and then your reg number saying they only do legal plates blah blah. It's unclear if any of them will give you your money back or will take a few off if they decide not to do it. A lot of them want your original reg certificate and driving license and stuff.

Go on e-bay, that's where I got mine. Can't recall who, but quality and service were excellent. Only a few do Black/silver and make sure they do pressed otherwise you may get very fancy black perspex ones that would look great on a Jag but not an old series.

They all want original documents and presumably wouldn't make them anyway until it's all above board with the dvla, which won't be until April next year. Want to take your money first.
Go on e-bay, that's where I got mine. Can't recall who, but quality and service were excellent. Only a few do Black/silver and make sure they do pressed otherwise you may get very fancy black perspex ones that would look great on a Jag but not an old series.
I looked on eBay first but only saw the ones Neil posted above unfortunately.

Got mine off eBay. There were loads of suppliers at the time. Looks like they’ve cracked down on it though.

Try these chaps. The fact that it allows you to select all the options including yes/no to having the legal detail included on the plates suggest that they’ll make what you need.

Thanks truck cab. I tried that one but they don't appear to do the square rear, only a pair of oblongs. There's a stall at farming yesteryear that usually take orders for plates, didn't see them last year though and I kind of want them for this year's show assuming it's on. (It's second weekend of September every year).

Who'd have thought it would be so difficult to get "illegal" plates haha. Places that do show plates don't seem to be willing to do "legal" plates, although it is easier to get a pair of oblong B&Ws

Thanks truck cab. I tried that one but they don't appear to do the square rear, only a pair of oblongs. There's a stall at farming yesteryear that usually take orders for plates, didn't see them last year though and I kind of want them for this year's show assuming it's on. (It's second weekend of September every year).

Who'd have thought it would be so difficult to get "illegal" plates haha. Places that do show plates don't seem to be willing to do "legal" plates, although it is easier to get a pair of oblong B&Ws

Go onto the mobile designer thing. Every size selectable including standard ‘square’ rear plate which is 11”x8” I believe.

I recently used "pfc" (plates for cars) to make some replica dealer plates for my other 80s car. The "illegal" things that involved were using the 80s font and spacing, not having the manufacturer of them along the bottom, and not supplying any ID to purchase them

None of those things are illegal to actually display on my vehicle as it's all correct for period,

Website was literally an online designer, click click click, pay, plates turn up

Go onto the mobile designer thing. Every size selectable including standard ‘square’ rear plate which is 11”x8” I believe.
Odd, I did try that and it just gave me the option of the standard oblong size, altho I did set it to historic first. I'll try again in the cold sober light of day.

It's letting me have plastic ones with a square rear plate but when I try and change it to metal it's only giving me the standard size. They must only do the one size in metal and I don't want plastic for aesthetics. I'll drop them an email.

It's letting me have plastic ones with a square rear plate but when I try and change it to metal it's only giving me the standard size. They must only do the one size in metal and I don't want plastic for aesthetics. I'll drop them an email.

Yep. Think you’re right. I didn’t actually start the order process.

Google it and quite a few come up with no mention of needing documents. Doesn’t say they don’t, just doesn’t expressly say they do, so may be an option. Like this one below.

That one does say show plates on the home page so that's a good start. Might be one to pay with the credit card though haha. Would be nice to know if anyone had used them. Still 30 notes, it's worth a punt. You must be better at playing Google than me haha.

I do recall it taking a while to get right. The rectangle plates changed size at some stage when they went from 6 digits to 7. The oblong ones also seem to be at least 3 sizes, 6 fig, 7 fig and 7 fig plus country code. Also in the 50s/60s I seem to recall and extra large figure size, I think they used them on Rolls. I'll fess up; my Sankey has a bike rear plate which I ordered by mistake (late, beers, you know) but turns out to fit the mil bracket just right.

Just to update this thread for future searches, I used Rick's Bargain Plates. Nice quality plates and a fast delivery even considering the pandemic situation. Nice easy transaction, just type in the reg number hit buy and pay via PayPal. Cost just over £30 for the two.

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_175303.jpg
    IMG_20200507_175303.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 122
Can anyone suggest a good supplier for "show" plates? Been looking online for black and white plates for Henry. He's just a couple of months shy of 40 and I'm happy enough to stick them on before that. See enough defenders going about with them! Besides, I want them for shows anyway, assuming I'll get to any this year!

All the suppliers I've looked at want to take your money and then your reg number saying they only do legal plates blah blah. It's unclear if any of them will give you your money back or will take a few off if they decide not to do it. A lot of them want your original reg certificate and driving license and stuff.
Yes I can. . Excellent service.

Ordered a non matching (size) pair Bank Holiday Saturday, through my door Thursday. £39 odd. No effing around with V5 or my gas bill.

Several others just refused, because (I suspect) they are DVLA approved and don't want to lose their franchise. Pity. The less HM Government sticks its nose in my beeswax the happier I am.

They both fit perfectly. I used an offset of thin ply to give them some substance and to stop the bolts pulling through.

The rear nearside square plate fits with mm to spare. I think that I will have to relocate the dangly chain for the tailgate snib, and will have to relocate the plate light to suit but better than yellow.

Don't clone me please.

Attachments

• IMG_3720.jpeg
    IMG_3720.jpeg
    464.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3721.jpeg
    IMG_3721.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 70
I’ve just got a square plastic one from eBay from wesellplates I don’t know if he does black ones but he’s very good for plastic ones and a nice guy

I always use plates for cars, based in Dublin iirc, they are not tied to the DVLA, supply plates for a reasonable cost no questions asked within two or three days. Used them for years and thoroughly recommended.

Back
Top Bottom