• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Battery consensus

Hi

Wished to start a new thread as didn’t want to ask within someone else’s thread, May I plse ask what the general opinions are on battery makes , will be looking for an AGM battery to be used as an auxiliary leisure battery in my D3 as part of a split charge / DC to DC solar panel setup

Personally won’t buy another battery offline due to previous experience, also won’t touch another exide , my current starter lead acid battery is from yuasa and very pleased with it , got it from Halfords and prefer to get one from a physical shop in case there’s a problem , considerably easier to change

Size would be a maximum of 242 mm L x 175 wide x 190 mm high, Also wondering if some of the optima yellow top are worth paying the extra money for or simply not worth it in my application , think they call them spiral tops ?

Would be very grateful if u would be so kind what make you’ve used in the past and what ones to stay away from plse, plus at the end of the day we could then make up a list for future reference

Massive thks as always

Last edited:
Fwiw my usual choice is varta but I'd be happy wit any of the bigger branded makes..
I quite often compare weights on similar types.. The heavier the better and more expensive iv found..
The real issue is making sure you have the correct charging regime for your chosen type.. And keeping them charged, Unless you choose to go lithium they are all lead acid technology but usually have preferred max and min charging bands for the various types.. Ie wet, agm, gel etc..
When agm hit the scene and many major motorhome manufacturers started using them there were a raft of failures and bad press.. Most caused by incorrect charging set up..

I would buy the biggest battery that fits, preferably from one of the bigger brands, with the longest guarantee (at least 3 years) from a well-known source (who will honour the warranty).
Im currently running Optima, but may change to Varta or Bosch next time - depends what is available...
Ive had Yuasa for other use (UPS) and they have been good, but not for vehicles, but German or Japanese manufacture would be a plus for me..

I always buy my batteries from Alpha ...

Dealt with them for years for leisure batteries etc and have always been delighted with prices/quality and service ...

Currently run 3 x 100ah agm in our motorhome with 400w of solar/B2B etc

I'd be looking at lithium next time as all our kit is lithium capable
Lithium is also lighter
Charges faster
And gives more usable ah ....

Cost is also down to being very close to AGM per AH .

Personally I wouldn't touch optima batteries as over priced bling

Thk u so much and will check them out , great to get a general consensus on leisure batteries , a minefield that’s for sure , this is the max dimensions that will fit in the aux battery tray, but will double check in case I can get a few more mm and therefore a bigger battery

Length242 mm
Width175 mm
Height inc. terms190

Will have a proper read , thks again for the link

Back
Top Bottom