• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Battery restart??

chris45

In Third Gear
Hi all! I have a LR discovery 3 TDV6. 2007 model.
About as month ago I installed a new Battery, bigger and more powerful but recommended for LR!
However after that I began to notice all sorts of weird thing, warning-lights came on that I didnt see before, etc and
the car obviously act accordingly!
Some say one should do a restart etc! I have the icarsoft Lr 3.0 and this diagnostic will let me do a restart, I wonder if anyone here
have used this and restarted the battery?? and of course if one should do a restart??

Thanks beforehand!

Hi

Do u remember what the battery specs are please including make

Also did u fully charge the battery before fitting it plse as that’s also very important

Do u happen to have a multimeter , if so what is the Vdc of the battery with the engine off plse , thks

Hi!
The battery is,

Exide Excell EB950 95 Ah.​

This is the battery that LR Sweden recommends! No I didnt fully charge it before installing! ( I should have done) but since then I have purposley fully charged it twice, just to make sure!
No I dont have a multimeter!..the icarsoft however will allow me to read all info reg the battery!

I have a feeling I should do a restart of the Battery?? what do you think?? I installed around one month back! somehow I recon its tampered with the Air-suspension giving
me warning-lights that I've never seen prior to installation of the new battery!

Hi!
The battery is,

Exide Excell EB950 95 Ah.​

This is the battery that LR Sweden recommends! No I didnt fully charge it before installing! ( I should have done) but since then I have purposley fully charged it twice, just to make sure!
No I dont have a multimeter!..the icarsoft however will allow me to read all info reg the battery!

I have a feeling I should do a restart of the Battery?? what do you think?? I installed around one month back! somehow I recon its tampered with the Air-suspension giving
me warning-lights that I've never seen prior to installation of the new battery!

Hi

Must confess I’ve not been happy with exide , I went over to yuasa 019 , as a rule if I don’t use mine it will last around a month before it starts to drop below 12.6 Vdc, which should be around the min with the engine off, engine running should be around 14.5 Vdc

Personally I charge mine with a CTEK charger via the 12s towing socket , made up a 4 x metre lead and a plug on the front of my house , so when I park on my driveway I can simply plug it in

I also installed a battery monitor which u can then check the voltage and cranking amps via ur iPhone / iPad via Bluetooth , has a range of around 20 x feet , there so useful things to have , u can also set an alarm that will advise u if it drops below a set level

U dont need to reset a battery like u do with a D4 , u can do a master reset by disconnecting both battery leads , then ensuring they don’t touch the battery posts but u put both battery leads together for around 15 x mis, then u reinstall them onto ur battery , found it easier taking the battery out then touching the leads together as it takes the risk away of them touching the battery

Over time since owning my D3 I’ve bought a multimeter as it really does help for these vehicles

Have u done a full scan of ur D3 please to see what fault codes come back, more than happy to help where we can as there’s plenty of us that can walk u through any codes

Really hope the above has been useful to u

Plus as a side note particularly seeing urs is a 2007 has the oil pump been changed plse, as they can suffer with a weak casing

There’s an updated version with a stronger casing as the old ones suffer when the corner snaps off and can cause irretrievable damage

Ref ur suspension , plse let us know what the fault codes are and if it’s doing anything , ie, dropping down or going into limp mode , always a team forum effort to assist where we can

Hope that’s useful to u

Thanks Stuart! you've been most helpfull! I am going to follow your instructions and then do a total scan of the car, especially the Air suspension!

Just a question, exactly what does a battery reset do? is it sort of throwing everything back to default?

Cheers Chris!

Thanks Stuart! you've been most helpfull! I am going to follow your instructions and then do a total scan of the car, especially the Air suspension!

Just a question, exactly what does a battery reset do? is it sort of throwing everything back to default?

Cheers Chris!

Ur so very welcome , indeed , like when u reset a computer

Thanks yet again Stuart!...your explanation was perfect and it worked to 100%.

Great pleasure it helped and welcome to the asylum 🤣

Indeed these motors are so nice to drive but do need that bit extra work to ensure there kept in full working order , but well worth it

Must confess have increased my range of tools and test equipment as u can never have too many tools , lol

Plse always feel free to ask if get stuck on anything

Great pleasure it helped and welcome to the asylum 🤣

Indeed these motors are so nice to drive but do need that bit extra work to ensure there kept in full working order , but well worth it

Must confess have increased my range of tools and test equipment as u can never have too many tools , lol

Plse always feel free to ask if get stuck on anything
I agree they are wonderful to drive! and when in perfect working order very little beats it! I am a Cardiologist, surgeon and talking of tools in my case Instruments, agree you can never get enough and many times only the best will do!..have a great day Stuart!

I agree they are wonderful to drive! and when in perfect working order very little beats it! I am a Cardiologist, surgeon and talking of tools in my case Instruments, agree you can never get enough and many times only the best will do!..have a great day Stuart!

Hi

Many thks , Must confess had landies for nearly 40 x years and the D3 is my favourite so far , dream landy would be a D4 fitted with the N/A 5.0 petrol V8 , maybe one day 🤣

Massive respect to u for such a stressful and exceptionally skilled profession , talking of tools I’ve had extensive back surgery where my lower back was fused and the D3 has certainly made my life easier , small things like being able to lower the suspension which aids me getting in and out plus the sheer smoothness and comfort of the air suspension in how it soaks up the bumps

I got the base model as to be honest didn’t need a lot of the toys , cheaper on insurance , nor a sunroof, did however replace the manual seats with full electric , had to make up my own seat wiring looms for each but arm chair comfort particularly there being adjustable support for lumber and behind my knees

Few other mods were replacing my steering wheel and wiper/ indicator stalks with ones from a D4 , aux 12vdc centre panels , rock sliders , plus ad to tear the thing apart after having air bag , suspension and electrical issues which took nearly a year to resolve

Alas it’s 20 x years old in 2025 but chassis is solid and bodywork in excellent condition so will try and hold onto it as long as possible

Another thing I really like about land rovers are there versatility , tons of room, good driving position and eat the miles in sheer comfort

Sorry I’m waffling 🤣🤣

All the best to u and look forward seeing some piccies and progress plse m thks

Back
Top Bottom