• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Bolt Identification

Dear All,

I have dozens of little jars, tins, boxes, drawers and loose piles of assorted fasteners and I haven't a clue what they are. I have therefore trawled the internet to produce a spreadsheet to help with identification.

I've sorted them by major diameter size. Where there are several fasteners with the same major diameter, I've tried to sort them by the fineness of the screw pitch, and when this still leaves ambiguity, I've noted the angle of the thread to help with differentiation. I think it might be of help to other Series drivers, possibly to some folk with older Defenders and Range Rovers.

If you spot any error or omissions, please let me know. Keep in mind that the major diameter that you measure will always be less than the nominal diameter: a thread gauge is a cheap and useful addition to the tool box.

Kind wishes,

Nick

Attachments

• Nick's Thread Chart.pdf
    29.3 KB · Views: 420
Nice one Nick. I have downloaded it and will print it out tomorrow to stick on my garage wall with your permission :) Copyright and all that!!!

I'm just glad if it's helpful to someone.
As to copyright, it is all information that is freely available in the public domain, all that I did was to sort the data from other people's tables into one.

I noticed that I missed the angle off the very first row so, for people (like me) who get annoyed by such errors, here's a version with the missing number. I'm going to have a happy Sunday in the workshop with a micrometer and a thread gauge. It doesn't get much more nerdy than that!

Kind wishes,

Nick

Attachments

• Nick's Thread Chart.pdf
    29.3 KB · Views: 177
Dear All,

I have dozens of little jars, tins, boxes, drawers and loose piles of assorted fasteners and I haven't a clue what they are. I have therefore trawled the internet to produce a spreadsheet to help with identification.

I've sorted them by major diameter size. Where there are several fasteners with the same major diameter, I've tried to sort them by the fineness of the screw pitch, and when this still leaves ambiguity, I've noted the angle of the thread to help with differentiation. I think it might be of help to other Series drivers, possibly to some folk with older Defenders and Range Rovers.

If you spot any error or omissions, please let me know. Keep in mind that the major diameter that you measure will always be less than the nominal diameter: a thread gauge is a cheap and useful addition to the tool box.

Kind wishes,

Nick
Most other thread info is listed from the point of view of those who make the bolts. This time Nick has done it from the point of view of those who acctually use them. Really good idea, Well done Nick.
I'm just glad if it's helpful to someone.
As to copyright, it is all information that is freely available in the public domain, all that I did was to sort the data from other people's tables into one.

I noticed that I missed the angle off the very first row so, for people (like me) who get annoyed by such errors, here's a version with the missing number. I'm going to have a happy Sunday in the workshop with a micrometer and a thread gauge. It doesn't get much more nerdy than that!

Kind wishes,

Nick
Most other thread info is listed from the point of view of those who make the bolts. This time Nick has done it from the point of view of those who acctually use them. Really good idea, Well done Nick.

Hi Ayfix and welcome aboard ,just had a look at Nick's tables ,having a nightmare with some 1/2 inch U-bolt nuts . Tried M12 ,1/2 inch unc/unf so I've only got m12 x1.5 / m12 x 1.25 or 1/2x12 BSW to go ! What Landy are you into ?

Dear All,

Kind wishes,

Nick
Absolutely brilliant. Thanks for taking the time to create this chart. I have a laminated copy in my garage. !

Back
Top Bottom