• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Bottle jack

mikeau

Staff member
I was given this by a friend. It was the jack supplied with his MB Sprinter and looks unused.

IMG_6602.JPG

It only lifts about an inch and stops though, so advice please?

Is this likely to just need topping up with oil or should I be looking at some kind of stuck valve etc?

Sounds like it needs a top up. Is the small bit of lift it has got solid though or does the piston feel spongy?
Lifts about an inch quite solidly then no more pressure on the arm.
I initially thought about topping it up, but its brand new (old, but unused) and no signs of leaks etc...

Try pulling it out with the release valve open,it might just be stuck. I brought a few very cheap from bootfairs, going to make a bushing/bearing press with one.

It's not so long ago that I was mucking about with a little landrover bottle jack which burped a bit oil past the seal..
I just got a bottle from halfords.. Labeled jack oil.. About £3.50..
As mentioned a above. ISO VG32👍

20240330_092658.jpg

Yep. Its only the centre part that moves and only about an inch, so I wasnt sure if that was supposed to rise first or not tbh...
It would be normal for the large bore ram to rise first and then the small.. Someone has had a go at the top of the large bore before by the looks in your photo..
It looks like a proper engineer with stilson and hammer has had a go👍🤣🙈..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom