• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

CB vs CV brake master cylinder, advise help

archaeoptherix

Shifting Up
Hi landrover maniacs, after fixings troubles with engine on my 88 S2A, experimented troubles with brakes. single lines, remote reservoir, 10 inch drums.
Spongy pedal, no hard brake. I had been trying to bleed in all the ways discused at this forum but no
results came. No leaking anywhere. I guess I am dealing with brake master cylinder failure which is almost new.
Planning to replace with a new one, actually. Therefore I hope some advise from the forum concerning what will be best master cylinder to fit??,
CV type or CB ??
God bless you all people
Archaeoptherix

Have you fitted new shoes and or drums? There is a lot of rubbish parts about like shoes that are the wrong radius which will give a spongy pedal. Usually these crap parts come in blue boxes.
Also if you have a CB master cylinder and get air in it you will need to jack the front of the vehicle well up to get all the air out of it.

The S2 workshop manual explains in some detail that due to the construction of the CB cylinder (one with the big nut on the end) air can only be removed from it if its flat. As its installed with the end of the cylinder higher than the fluid inlet its necessary to raise the front of the vehicle until the cylinder is at least level to bleed the thing.

The CV cylinder is different.

I fixed new shoes, new drums, new wheel cylinders and new lines, as also as CV master cylinder. During bleeding procedure, as green bible says, two and a half liter of brake fluid passed, but still no hard pedal. Thanks

In my experience the CB master cylinders cause more problems than they're worth and I would avoid them at all costs, unless you are going for originality. Buy a genuine girling CV cylinder. Put plenty of rubber grease behind the boot to keep crud out. Bleed it properly and away you go.

Back
Top Bottom