• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Clicking noise when key is turned

Archies

In Third Gear
Im getting a clicking noise when i turn the key on my series 3 petrol, i have changed the starter motor, but i didnt check if it was working ( should of done really) but its still clicking.

Could it be the selonoid? the coils new and it bump starts easily, im thinking a bad earth some where as well.

Any one else have any ideas what i can check.

Archie

Make sure battery terminals are clean and that a good connection is made.

Check battery and engine earthing points are good.

Check and eliminate the simple stuff first.

Have you tried connecting the large terminals on the solenoid with something substantial like an old spanner, take care not to connect the live to the earth, try to connect the large live to the large feed to the starter, if the starter turns, it's the solenoid! Sometimes the contacts inside give up and don't make contact. Not sure what the standard starter is like but the two live cables should be easy to identify.

The clicking will be the solenoid engaging and disengaging but that's possibly because your battery hasn't got any oomph. What state is your battery in? I'd suggest you charge it fully with a mains charger (which may take 24hrs or more) and make sure all cells have the correct level of acid in. Check there aren't any dead cells with a hydrometer.

The clicking is caused by this cycle;

1. Ignition switch turns >
2. Solenoid energized (click) >
3. Battery is now heavily loaded by starter motor so the voltage drops rapidly >
4. Battery voltage drops below the level at which the solenoid can operate so solenoid disengages (click) >
5. Light load on battery now as starter disconnected and battery voltage recovers >
6. Battery voltage now high enough to operate solenoid >
7. Go to 2. and repeat until ignition switch is turned off.

I hope this makes sense :)

Sarah

i had this problem intermittently on mine, it turned to be a loose connection at the starter motor. just nipped it up and no problems since.

Great help lads thank you, i checked all earths and they were fine. One of the nuts on the selonoid was pretty loose so i tightened that up, tried to turn the engine over and it still clicked, i took the battery off my disco and put it on the series and it fired straight in, so battery was at fault.

Now just got to weld the rear cross member up and try and get a new washer jet pump as the washers arnt pumping through, then mot then laning with a bit of luck.

Archie

I know you have answed your question but I just wanted to share this anyway. I too have had this problem this week and it turned out to be a loose wire on the starter, However it happend to me at 5 in the morning as I was just tring to set off for work. luckly I had a starter handle. Starting your landy with a handle just adds a little bit more excitment to the day, I suggest you all have a go.

I ran for about a week using just the starting handle when the battery on my IIA died. I wouldn't want to use a handle on a diesel!

Sarah

Back
Top Bottom