• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Connecting rod orientation?

SeriesG

Offroader
I know it must be the middle of the night where anyone who knows the answer to this is but hopefully someone can offer some advise.
20240412_212758.jpg

I'm assembling a 2.25 3brng petrol engine. My connecting rods have boss cast into the sides of the main beam, one of which has an oil hole drilled into it through to the big end bore. Which side does this hole go on upon assembly into the engine?

You have me wondering how it I assembled mine the right way round all those months ago.
Another bit to watch out for are the bronze sliders for the pushrods, they also face in a specific direction as does that coupling betwixt camshaft and distributor. I spent ages assembling it (lining up that hold for the retaining screw can try one's patience) and still managed to get it the wrong way round. Putting it in the right way round with the engine in the vehicle made the original fitment seem like a piece of cake.

You have me wondering how it I assembled mine the right way round all those months ago.
Another bit to watch out for are the bronze sliders for the pushrods, they also face in a specific direction as does that coupling betwixt camshaft and distributor. I spent ages assembling it (lining up that hold for the retaining screw can try one's patience) and still managed to get it the wrong way round. Putting it in the right way round with the engine in the vehicle made the original fitment seem like a piece of cake.
Some of this stuff can really mess with your head. When it gets weird it pays to back off. Call it quits for the day and come back tomorrow with a clear mind...

Connecting rod oil squirters always go to the thrust side of the engine. ALWAYS. Thrust side is the RH side of the engine (as seen from the driver's seat.) The extra oil is to help reduce the gouging effect of the piston tilting at BDC and coming up the bore tipped a bit sideways. If you measure the bore of an engine with mileage on it, you'll always find a square area at the bottom of the stroke on the thrust side that's worn more than the rest of the bore. A quick hole will show it to you if you're using stones and not a dingle ball hone.

Back
Top Bottom