• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Petrol Engines Could this be the answer to 'green' Bio fuels?

Guitar Mick

Staff member
Just spotted this in this months LRO,
Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 08.46.40.png

Could this be a way round the problems of water in the fuel tank and the other problems created by using petrol that has bio ethanol as part of it's mixture?
Has any one tried it yet? and does it work?

I've been putting Frost Ethomix in the bike... Not using the same amount of fuel as you would with a Landy.

No problems so far.....

Looking at the sulnox website, it looks like they started trialling the petrol additive at the start of October, hence no price available. Be interested to see how it costs out.

I've been putting Frost Ethomix in the bike... Not using the same amount of fuel as you would with a Landy.

No problems so far.....

Looking at the sulnox website, it looks like they started trialling the petrol additive at the start of October, hence no price available. Be interested to see how it costs out.
Strange that........cos it say's £27.99 on the bottle label :D

You want water to mix with a petrochemical? - Just add detergent.
The interesting thing is then you end up with an emulsion, which is what I suggested would be the future of fuels a few years ago. I expect they will start selling emulsions soon as it is more profitable - as they are selling you water. Probably too many problems with it at the moment to be viable.

Can't we just buy biobutanol at the pumps instead and stop this nonsense? Or is it a cunning plan to destroy engines and vehicles to phase out the ICE?

Hey we've been using 5% E5 for years anyone had any problems ? All they have done is add another 5% E10 . Save your money don't listen to the hype, I bet you won't notice the difference

premium unleaded the answer, or is that being phased out too?
May be a regional withdrawal. Here in Stoke Newington, North London, BP had a fuel station refit and now all the pump stands have E5. Before that, there were two E5s and they were invariably out of action/run dry.

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding me of this post. I can update with some new info..
Since my overflowing carburettor debarcle from a year or so back, I have been using a Millers additive with my fuel:
Millers VSPE.jpg
Amongst it's claims is protection of traditional rubber seals in the fuel system from the corrosive effects of E5 & E10 fuel. I can't verify this as yet, but I would say I have noticed a difference from when I put the additive in to when I don't. They are only small differences but do make a difference, for example:
1: Much quicker on re-start when engine is up to working temperature and has been left off for 10 minutes, or more.
2: Tick-over and general engine sound is smoother
3: There is a definite improvement in pulling power, it's more eager (as eager as a 2.25 Land Rover petrol engine can be :D)
4: The fuel does not 'boil over' as readily in the carburettor after a run and the engine has been left off for 10 minutes or more .

So I will continue to use this, there is a noticeable difference when I forget to add it when fuelling up, I would recommend this.

Thanks for reminding me of this post. I can update with some new info..
Since my overflowing carburettor debarcle from a year or so back, I have been using a Millers additive with my fuel:
View attachment 445119
Amongst it's claims is protection of traditional rubber seals in the fuel system from the corrosive effects of E5 & E10 fuel. I can't verify this as yet, but I would say I have noticed a difference from when I put the additive in to when I don't. They are only small differences but do make a difference, for example:
1: Much quicker on re-start when engine is up to working temperature and has been left off for 10 minutes, or more.
2: Tick-over and general engine sound is smoother
3: There is a definite improvement in pulling power, it's more eager (as eager as a 2.25 Land Rover petrol engine can be :D)
4: The fuel does not 'boil over' as readily in the carburettor after a run and the engine has been left off for 10 minutes or more .

So I will continue to use this, there is a noticeable difference when I forget to add it when fuelling up, I would recommend this.
I used their diesel additive in a 2.25 diesel and it transformed it. MUCH quieter and seemed to run a lot more smoothly
So-oo I will definitely be giving this stuff a trial

My 30 yr old car runs noticeably better on E5. Manual says it will compensate for poor fuel so I was using E10 but its a false economy as the system seems to back off the power quite a bit.

Recently went into limp mode in my 2.5 petrol and would only run reasonably well on half choke that got me home, so I think was a blocked idle jet. I stripped and cleaned the jets but couldn't find any blockage and has been fine since but is typical of lumps of white corrosion causing a blockage. I think I will try the redex stuff if it will help with corrosion issues.

Back
Top Bottom