• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Crank handle

claudesr

Shifting Up
Hello there,

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a crank handle for my SIII.
Sometimes the starter gets stuck (and always in the most inconvenient places) and I would like to carry a second line of defense.

Cheers
Claude

Watch your wrists tho, I have never tried hand cranking, but I have been told the handle can spin round and give you an awfal crack on the wrist, sometimes broken wrists have been known.

Hello mate

I think i have a couple here if you want... £5 + the postage.. my landy has a later engine so I cant use one as the fitting on the crank pulley is not there

Let me know if you interested and i will check on the postage for you

Chris

Watch your wrists tho, I have never tried hand cranking, but I have been told the handle can spin round and give you an awfal crack on the wrist, sometimes broken wrists have been known.

And thumbs, and watch your face as well, it kicks back.

have a practice before hand certain knack to do it, but still one advantage of older cars.

https://www.lrukforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103705
has one on offer...

Certainly is a knack to it. Have done it too often on my S3 (before fitting the new starter).

My hints for starting with crank handle (I was shown this by a 70 year old AA man and works every time for me).

1.) In neutral with ignition off and choke at full turn the handle round a few times (5 or so) to prime the engine.
2.) Set ignition on and choke to one third out (depending on what you normally use for a cold start).
3.) Place crank handle in place with handle at 12 O-clock
4.) With thumbs tucked next to hands (I ware gloves) use palms of hands to push the handle over (should thus get just under one turn). You need to do this with a fair bit of force and normally more than once.

A few revs of the engine to warm it up and there you go.

If the vehicle is warm I can often start with just part 4 and one turn, but it is so much nicer to use the starter motor

Hope that is of help.

Have never managed to start my landy in this way... Went through a spate of problems with the battery dying! Would a weak battery make it harder to strat with the handle?

Always pull the handle rather than push. If pushing and it kicks back you can get a broken wrist, if pulling and it kicks back all that then happens is the handle is whipped out of your grip. This is from hand starting Lister & Petter petrol engines, Willys jeep, petrol/parrafin tractors, Alvis Stalwart(6.5ltr straight 8), 2 ltr landy and 2.25 landy.

Hello mate

I think i have a couple here if you want... £5 + the postage.. my landy has a later engine so I cant use one as the fitting on the crank pulley is not there

Let me know if you interested and i will check on the postage for you

Chris

Thanks for the offer Chris but I ordered one from Craddocks just before reading your thread.

Also thanks everyone for the advice about the dangers hand starting all warnings will be heeded.

Cheers
Claude

Here are some comments from my experience with starting handles:
  • I use the same method as Mr Shten, but PULLING Up on the handle like Mr CCKW353A1.
  • Be careful how you put-in or take-out the handle, that you do not hit the radiator with it. On both my S3s, I have had pinhole leaks at the bottom of the radiator where (I believe) the handle has hit it. On one car I have put a plate on the cross member to prevent the handle touching the radiator.
  • The timing MUST be correct. Could this be Mr Satacom's problem?
  • It is easier to start a knackered engine compared to one with good compression.
  • If you are wearing a hat, take it off before trying to start; in my experience there is a 25% chance it will come flying off as you pull up on the handle. Also empty your shirt pocket of pens, etc as there is a 100% chance they will fly out.
Ta

• The timing MUST be correct. Could this be Mr Satacom's problem?
  • It is easier to start a knackered engine compared to one with good compression.
Ta

I would be more inclined to say its more to do with the enging being in good tune as its a complete git to trun over... I have turned a few motors over by hand and none have been as dificult as my landy.. two of note are diesels but both a bit nackered (1.5d and 2.4td)

Oil temp and therefore viscoscity are a factor too. It`s why your ailing battery gets caught out in the first frost of late Autum isn`t it?

Alex

I can get my petrol 109 started on the crank when the engine is cold & the choke fully out but there is no chance when the engine is warm. Not sure why!

A well charged battery in good condition is always recommendable for the winter because cranking is already a perilous endevour in ideal circumstances, so when everything is frozen solid you don't want to be out in the front doing battle with a crank handle.

I want to keep a handle as a safety precaution against the starter getting stuck (generally in the most inconvenient places).

Cheers
Claude

"Have never managed to start my landy in this way... Went through a spate of problems with the battery dying! Would a weak battery make it harder to strat with the handle?"

I'd reckon if the battery is weak then it will be difficult to start because you won't be getting a good spark and a quick twist on the starting handle won't be enough to get the alternator doing anything.

"Have never managed to start my landy in this way... Went through a spate of problems with the battery dying! Would a weak battery make it harder to strat with the handle?"

I'd reckon if the battery is weak then it will be difficult to start because you won't be getting a good spark and a quick twist on the starting handle won't be enough to get the alternator doing anything.

you'd be wrong. in my experience you can start a car on the handle unless the battery is absolutely knackered.

Back
Top Bottom