• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

General De-rusting of parts. Rust removal methods.

I'm keen to try molasses, it combines with the rust and makes it water soluble. Apparently its great for engine blocks as you can de-rust inside and it doesn't matter if some is left in crevices as its not acidic.

I keep a 5l paint tin with a 50/50 mix of acetone and hydraulic oil to throw in small parts. Gets off a lot of surface rust. I like the idea of electrolysis though....definitely going to have a go at that.

The first time I tried the electrolysis method I was a bit underwhelmed as it seemed to do nothing. I tried again but this time I put the battery charger onto a battery and then connected everything up and it worked great. I degrease everything first and then wrap wire around the item and in it goes. The carrot soup it makes is pretty gross though! Ive put in anything that will fit in the pastic crate I have set up.

Hmm carrot soup, I think this was a back plate.

Attachments

• DSC_1185.JPG
    DSC_1185.JPG
    386.3 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom