• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Defender extended mirror arms?

ogb

Offroader
Anyone got any good alternatives to the hideously expensive stock (Ebay) items? I object to paying nearly 50 notes for an extension of a few cm to a standard (£10) arm, so looking for alternatives. In the past I've just cut the standard arms and bolted in a short bit of scrap to do the job but maybe there's a more elegant solution? What about the frames from ambulances?
In addition to this, I've put on the larger mirrors, so if I extend the arms is the combination going to lead to problems? The mirrors vibrate a lot as it is, so with the longer arms....?

Maybe look in an agricultural tractor garage. They have all sorts of mirrors. Big buxxers with supporting arms as you can imagine. At farmer's prices too.

Neil - thanks, but this is the part that I described as being a bit expensive for the extra few cms of length, although I'll grant you that this is moving into the area of being more affordable. Worth considering, certainly, but is the extra length going to make the actual mirror unuseable at speed?
I tried the large mirrors on the "second notch" today and that improved the rear view but the vibration was bad enough for The Soup Dragon to complain it was making her feel sick....

Have a look at the '88 camel trophy. The mirrors they used on the competing vehicles were from BL commercial vehicles, I think. Maybe somebody from the camel trophy owners club could point you in the right direction.

In the meantime.

Last edited:
Those "U" shaped brackets look just the thing, and thanks for the video - very useful. I'll have a look in the local agri shop for mirrors to fit, but I think you've found me the answer. Ta.

To follow up on this, I kept the standard set-up and went on holiday (offroad in the Cevennes, France). The vibration etc on motorways wrecked the mount on the passenger side, so I took it apart to discover that the fixing relies on a very thin plastic flange. This is subject to a lot of stress since it's at the bottom of the mirror "carrier" and the leverage applied by the large area above it is bound to cause a failure. I remedied the problem by taking the carrier/cover off and filling the bottom with enough weight and epoxy putty to balance the air pressure on the top of the mirror. The putty also fixed the innards in place well enough to stop the vibration and wobble. Worked a treat.

my 300Tdi 110 came with pieces of box section bolted onto the hinges in place of the mirrors and then the mirrors bolted to the box section, extends them about 75mm further out.

Back
Top Bottom