• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Defender Headliner Refurb!

Festerfly

Offroader
Well I decided that the saggy headliner was beyond all salvation. The previous owner also smoked quite heavily and the smell had permeated the headliner along with the seat trim ( I can shampoo the seats!). So it was decided to change the headliner. After shopping around and seeing the cost of these, I started to wonder how difficult it would be to retrim it myself... So armed with 6sqm of charcoal black headliner materials (foam backed) and a could of cans of high temp trim fix, and having done my research... (Countless hours of Wheeler Dealers & Custom My Ride... ;) ) I felt ready to go...

This was the result!

not perfect but I'm pleased with my first attempt. Only took a couple of hours too....

Attachments

• null-3.jpg
    null-3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 646
  • null-2.jpg
    null-2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 810
  • null-1.jpg
    null-1.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 721
  • null.jpg
    null.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 641
nice job. we did our audi last year. not an easy job at all but the only way to do one properly, and quite cheap all things considered. you have to remember that when they are made in a factory they would be pressed or vacuumed to shape a lot better than can be done by hand.

Looks a good job, and cheeper than buying a new replacement.

Where did you get the lining material from?

Well I decided that the saggy headliner was beyond all salvation. The previous owner also smoked quite heavily and the smell had permeated the headliner along with the seat trim ( I can shampoo the seats!). So it was decided to change the headliner. After shopping around and seeing the cost of these, I started to wonder how difficult it would be to retrim it myself... So armed with 6sqm of charcoal black headliner materials (foam backed) and a could of cans of high temp trim fix, and having done my research... (Countless hours of Wheeler Dealers & Custom My Ride... ;) ) I felt ready to go...

This was the result!

not perfect but I'm pleased with my first attempt. Only took a couple of hours too....

thats pretty awesome , well done . as above let us know what products you used as I was about to bin my headlining. I've cleaned it with Oxy Pro and vanish looks ok but I need to re glue it, or as in your case refurb it.

I echo the above. Very good job and where did you get the bits from.

This is on my list of things to do in the next few weekends, so it would be really handy to have links to the material and glue you used. My current liner is grubby, but should clean up however, I am worried that it wont fit back as neatly as it once did so replacing it like yours would be a good move.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement!

i went for the darker colour as i think that it will hide the finger prints a bit better once the kids are climbing in and out all the time.

All the bits came from ebay as it turned out it was much cheaper then elsewhere.

The Headliner & Glue came from the same Supplier (would recommend very much as answered any queries i had in advance) and tey also do it in a grey colour if this is a little too dark for your tastes.

Headliner - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160992872164?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 - i Ordered 6ms of the this and have enough over to do the tailboard (above the rear door) and a little spare.
Glue - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151025667509?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 - Could actually do with 3 tins tbh, but 2x would be fine if its a 90...
Headliner Rivets (Black) - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320920810195?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Sound Deadening Pads - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370416755133?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 - to try and help reduce the noise!

i havent done the sun visors yet, but they will be next.... keep you posted.. Im refitting it this evening so will update how i get on!

Thanks! Pics of it once fitted would be great. I like the black, but would be interested to see the look once back in the truck.

Also, how did you prepare the card underneath to give the glue the best chance of sticking for a long time? I think mine is rather mouldy under the saggy headlining!

The headliner backing in my truck was dry thankfully. Aside from the broken down backing foam which soon came away with the rubbing of a stiff brush, I just made sure that there were no loose bits hanging around.

They have been standing on their side in our dining room for a couple of days now and there is no sign of the glue no having stuck correctly... Buts guess the proof will be once they are rehung.

I know I have a few extra trim clips to redo though. Mainly the ones for the sunroof surround. But otherwise, nothing stopping me refitting it this evening!!!!

even managed to rope the wife in to joining me for a laugh!

Nice job, well done.

I'd like to see how the sun visors are done.

I just spent a few hours trying to de nicotine a pair here, anyone who tries cleaning the sh!t up after this disgusting habit would know for sure it can never be good to smoke.

g101 by autosmart ? i am sure thats the one, a green liquid cleaner, gets rid of nicotine stains in a flash.

Thanks, interesting that G101 that I get ( 25l fill up) is a brilliant traffic film remover and general degreaser, must admit the jar is empty so cant try it atm.

but not green though , its a clear liquid.

I wonder what the green stuff is? I'll ask the rep / van driver next time I see him.

its a long time since i used the stuff so the exact name and details might be wrong. in fact it would be 18 years ago so the name might have changed.

Hi Festerfly,
Can i pester you for pics of it re-fitted. I'm quite keen on the black look you've gone for but was just curious to to see how it looked in the truck.

Hi festerfly, could you possible send me pics of your roof lining, I purchased my first defender yesterday and need to do my roof liner, any ideas and pics would be much appreciated

Thank you in advance

Back
Top Bottom