• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Defender Vacumm Brake Pump "BRITURK"

coleccionista1

In Second Gear
Hello everyone, let me introduce myself, my name is Carlos (Coleccionista1) from Argentina. I own a Defender 97, 300 Tdi. I need to change the Vacumm Brake Pump . Someone here offer me from Bearmach one, which has a label "BRITURK" apparently made by Bearmach. Does anyone knows this brand there in the UK. Thank you to all who can give me a piece of advice. Carlos

Otokar in Turkey make Defenders under licence, so possibly the 300tdi engine survives out there, Briturk could be a parts supply company to Otokar

I would trust Bearmach more than other firms as they at least have quality control, but what confuses me is they often have a quality brand and a cheap brand - with the same part number but no other identifier. Not heard of Briturk but maybe we will hear more about them.

Hi Carlos and welcome to the forum. Like you I run a 300tdi (1998 90") and my dirty little secret is a 1982 Series III 88" which I'd better not speak about on this forum. I recently had to replace the vacuum pump on my 90 and ordered a Bearmach pump which turned out to be "Briturk" in a Bearmach box. I'd never heard of Briturk and posted on here asking if any one had experience of this brand but got no replies so guessed that the answer was no.

The pump was well finished with a nice clean casting so I decided to give it a try. As recommended by the supplier I changed the oil and filter before fitting it. It is quiet and works fine. This was two or three months and about 4,000 miles, (6,500 K's) ago and so far, no problems.

Based on this one experience I'd be inclined to give it a try.

Hope this helps,

Cheers, Rod.

Hello again. I appreciate very much the comments from all of you. All these are a great help to me. Rod also thank you very much fo your wellcome. Base on what you say, I will give it a try. All these were very helpful. thanks, Carlos (Coleccionita1)

Hi all, just a brief update on my"Briturk" Brake vacuum pump. It's now 6 months and about 7,000miles down the road since I fitted the afore mentioned piece ofEastern Engineering Excellence. Today, without warning, I lost allservo assistance to my brakes. Luckily this happened at low speed andthe only real danger was to my underwear as I narrowly avoided goingthrough the hedge at the bottom of our street. On lifting the bonnetit was obvious that there had been a bit of a malfunction as thevacuum pump, (so called) had taken to spraying my lovely clean almostnew galv'ed chassis and anything else it could reach with lovelyblack diesel engine oil whilst producing no more vacuum than a sharpintake of breath from an asthmatic Fruit Fly.

Just ordered a new Wabco pump, shouldhave done that in the first place but I'm a tight Bu**er sometimes,and it was shiny. Sending Mr. Briturk his pump back but if it'sreplaced I'll probably just use it as a door stop.

In conclusion. Apologies to Carlos whoI hope has better luck with his purchase than I have and note toself. "Buy proper stuff in future, you know it makes sense".

Back
Top Bottom