• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Defender Wiper Hack

mikeau

Staff member

Ive just seen this;

This is an old trick, but I'm sure many of you don't know about this (possibly) life changing upgrade to your Defender.

If you replace the standard wiper relay with a VW Relay "99", you can actually choose your own length of time for the interval. You simply put the switch to intermittent and then back to the 'off position before the wipers return to park position. You then put the switch to intermittent after the appropriate interval. IE "On,off...15 seconds...on" gives you a 15 sec interval or "on,off...4 secs...on" gives 4 second interval.

It also changes how many wipes of the front windscreen you get when you use the washer jets, 1 wipe for a small squirt, more for a longer press of the washer switch.

Fitting is really easy, and as far as I know this will work for most Defenders.

Has to be worth a try for £9.

Looks a good idea @mikeau
Does it work on pre-Defender 90/110s?
My wiper switch goes up for continuous on and then fast sweep and down for sweeps as long as it is held down but there isn't an intermittent sweep mode.

Ive no idea. I saw someone post that it would only work up to a certain VIN (quite a late one I believe) but that may not have been accurate information anyway. As to what VIN it would work from, I suppose the best way is to try it. Its cheap enough...

I've replaced mine year ago, I reckon its one of the best value for money changes you can do.
Can't help you @capoj unfortunately by the time I found this part is was on an early TD5.

Looks a good idea @mikeau
Does it work on pre-Defender 90/110s?
My wiper switch goes up for continuous on and then fast sweep and down for sweeps as long as it is held down but there isn't an intermittent sweep mode.
No Jon, only later ones with the intermittant function unless you fit the later switch and do some wiring mods.

I think it is the same as the hella one from Paddocks Intermittent Wiper Relay Unit - Programmable | Wash Wipe System | Electrics | Defender | Parts & Accessories - Paddock Spares

Is there a wiper hack that helps the wipers of a defender cope with heavy snow? I always seem to end up peering through an ever diminishing area of windscreen as the snow packs up in the corners

Awesome....clocks out (screws out the surround and bought forward) pull the middle relay out of the three (the one that ticks when you put it on delayed wipe). Keep an eye on which way round the terminals are when it’s removed from the holder, put the new one in and put it all back together.

Switch the wipers on (up 1 click), then back to off before they return to park position, pause for how long a delay you want, then click the wiper arm down into intermittent.

Well worth the 9 quid and a 6 week wait.

Back
Top Bottom