• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Detent Spring.

Zayfod

Shifting Up
Hi all just want to pick a few Brains please.Just changed the oil in the main Gearbox on my series 3 and came across a broken Detent spring in my tray.The gearbox is working fine no noise,grinding or jumping out of gear and no problem selecting all the gears.Do you think it could be an old one that somehow got left in or if one has broke i thought i would be experiencing some sort of problem,with the new oil it sounds lovely as well.Any thoughts please? John.

Hi all just want to pick a few Brains please.Just changed the oil in the main Gearbox on my series 3 and came across a broken Detent spring in my tray.The gearbox is working fine no noise,grinding or jumping out of gear and no problem selecting all the gears.Do you think it could be an old one that somehow got left in or if one has broke i thought i would be experiencing some sort of problem,with the new oil it sounds lovely as well.Any thoughts please? John.
welcome to the series box .. and detent springs of your synchro .. i would leave the box well alone and just keep on driving it .. were as others will say different things ...

One down, two more to go! :)
It is possible to replace the spring in situ, I've done it myself but it's quite tricky - akin to wrestling a rottweiler with a broom through a narrow window opening. ;)

Define detent spring.

If you mean the ones that hold the little ball bearings that keep your gears in gear, then it's easy to replace.

If you mean SYNCHRO spring, from the 3-4 gear synchro hub, well ..how long is a piece of string. Could carry on for years, might let go tomorrow.

You can replace in situ ..open gearbox surgery ..

One down, two more to go! :)
It is possible to replace the spring in situ, I've done it myself but it's quite tricky - akin to wrestling a rottweiler with a broom through a narrow window opening. ;)
Ha Ha,thanks Mr Stein i watched a video on you tube it scared me to death but ive got a good mechanic so if it goes bang he can definitely have it.

I would advice sorting this. Mine had none when I bought it and as it was my first Series I assumed they were all that hard to change gear. But a rushed a gear change about 100 miles from home and smashed a dog off the 3/4 syncho that then jumped up and into the constant mesh gear and seized the box solid. 100 mile trip home on a recovery wagon, not all bad, son thought it was a great adventure and I saved quite a lot of diesel but the box had to come out.

Back
Top Bottom