• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Discovery Sport '15 Steering Rack

paulgaskin

In Second Gear
Hi All, new to the LR scene, just wanted share in case anyone can advise...
Week before Christmas jump into my Discovery Sport SE 2015 to find had no power steering.
AA recovery man reported the bolts that hold the power steering motor to the steering rack in place had sheared off and the motor was sat on the subframe. How I got home the previous day I will never know?
Got car recovered to local garage but they said job was too big for them as needs subframe off and new steering rack and motor.
LR Guy Salmon Stockport have quoted £3,100 (inc VAT) for the works, ouchh!!!! with no option of a recon rack for my model.
Just wanted to see if anyone had had similar issue and costs?
Thanks.

Hi All, new to the LR scene, just wanted share in case anyone can advise...
Week before Christmas jump into my Discovery Sport SE 2015 to find had no power steering.
AA recovery man reported the bolts that hold the power steering motor to the steering rack in place had sheared off and the motor was sat on the subframe. How I got home the previous day I will never know?
Got car recovered to local garage but they said job was too big for them as needs subframe off and new steering rack and motor.
LR Guy Salmon Stockport have quoted £3,100 (inc VAT) for the works, ouchh!!!! with no option of a recon rack for my model.
Just wanted to see if anyone had had similar issue and costs?
Thanks.
Hi there @paulgaskin, welcome to the Forum. What can I say.......Wow, that's pretty bad. Can't say I've seen this before, on the Forum, but you've done the right thing throwing it out there....someone may know more. 🤞

Thanks... just done a little more research on the web and spotted a couple of posts on Evoque and Sport sites with same issue and looks like a know fault with bolts corroding so going to post there as well.

Looks like the issue applies to:
LR DS 2015,16,17 &
RR Evoque 2012, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17

Picked this up from https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:58 am

From DVSA:

With regards to this case. The manufacturer has determined that the three aluminium retaining bolts, securing the EPAS motor to the steering rack, have failed due to inter-crystalline corrosion. This has been caused by salt water ingress between the EPAS motor and the mounting flange on the steering rack.

In order to understand the effects of power steering loss when driving a Range Rover Evoque or a discovery sport, DVSA carried out a test drive examination of a Land Rover Discovery Sport vehicle. The conclusions from the test drive are summarised below:

1. There is no evidence to suggest the vehicle does not comply with the original approval requirement.

2. The amount of effort required to control the vehicle with the EPS disconnected is greatest for manoeuvring and at lower speeds.

3. The amount of effort required with the EPS disconnected continues through the whole speed range.

4. The likely point of failure for the steering assistance motor to detach is at low speed or stationary as this is when the greatest torque is applied by the motor. At the point of maximum torque from the motor greater tensile loadings are applied to the bolts. As the load decreases the likelihood of detachment also decreases. This conclusion is based on engineering principles and experience.

5. The Driver has full braking available through the whole speed range.

It is not possible to conclude the failure of the Steering Assistance on the Range Rover Evoque and Discovery Sport due to corrosion of the retaining bolts, leading to the EPS motor detachment, meets the definition of an unsafe product, set out in the General Product Safety Regulation (GPSR) 2005 Regulation 2.

However, it is clear that drivers of these vehicles are concerned this is a safety issue and have raised this point with DVSA. It is also clear that unless remedial action is taken, steering motor bolts will continue to fail, leading to a loss of steering assistance. DVSA have recommended that that Land Rover conduct a voluntary recall to rectify those vehicles with aluminium bolts which could potentially fail.

The manufacturer has recognised the fault with steering motor bolts breaking on Range Rover Evoque (and Discovery Sport) vehicles. They have explained they are carrying out remedial work on a ‘fix on fail’ basis. However, they have chosen not to instigate a recall as they consider the vehicles meet the Type Approval requirements for a vehicle with failed power steering.

DVSA have also recommended that the manufacturer should continue to monitor the situation and provide DVSA with information on the number of cases reported. The manufacturer should also provide DVSA with any new information, which may arise and could lead to DVSA reconsidering the current conclusions or recommendations.

This concludes DVSA’s current investigations into this matter."
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Have passed details on my local JLR dealer to see if can get costs recovered from JLR.
Fingers and toes crossed!!!!

This makes me laugh.......The manufacturer has determined that the three aluminium retaining bolts, securing the EPAS motor to the steering rack, have failed due to inter-crystalline corrosion. This has been caused by salt water ingress between the EPAS motor and the mounting flange on the steering rack.
What did they make them out of years ago when they didn’t fail ..why not leave things alone and go with what’s been a success all these years...hope you get a good outcome ...

Hi All, just had some great new from my local dealer, JLR have agreed to pick up the full cost of the repair!!! :):):)
Just goes to show the power of these forums and doing your homework.
Thanks everyone.
Good news ,about time they came to there senses and realise there not doing the brand any good ....good luck 🙂

Thank you for posting this, the exact same thing has happened to my 2015 Discovery Sport SE (Worked fine one day & came to drive it the next the failure had occurred) It is now sitting at Landrover Stockport, I was also quoted £3,100 but luckily a colleague came on here to see if it had happened before & when I called the dealer again I spoke to the Service Manager at Stockport who dealt with the case noted on this forum. I have had to e-mail Landrover directly, but fingers crossed the outcome is the same!

Thank you for posting this, the exact same thing has happened to my 2015 Discovery Sport SE (Worked fine one day & came to drive it the next the failure had occurred) It is now sitting at Landrover Stockport, I was also quoted £3,100 but luckily a colleague came on here to see if it had happened before & when I called the dealer again I spoke to the Service Manager at Stockport who dealt with the case noted on this forum. I have had to e-mail Landrover directly, but fingers crossed the outcome is the same!
Same thing as happened to our 2015 discovery sport today.
AA turned up and gave me the exact diagnosis as yours.
The retaining bolts have sheard off
How did you go about emailing LR and is it quite straight forward as I have just read the report from DVSA.
Any help very much appreciated Richard

Same thing as happened to our 2015 discovery sport today.
AA turned up and gave me the exact diagnosis as yours.
The retaining bolts have sheard off
How did you go about emailing LR and is it quite straight forward as I have just read the report from DVSA.
Any help very much appreciated Richard

I had to call out the AA yesterday as my Evoque 2016 model would not drive.I had driven the car the day before no.issues noted or any warnings on dash board. Car now in local Pentland Range Rover garage and have been told the bolts have sheared off! I had contacted Land Rover via email yesterday after looking on several forums and realising that this appears to be a fault.
I am now waiting to see if LR will pay for repair.

Have encountered exactly the same fault on my Disco sport, 65 plate...bolts to steering rack sheared off and rack badly corroded. No warning lights and was fine when parked previously. Unable to move the motor apart from forwards and backwards in a straight line. This is dangerous as could easily have caused a collision if I had been driving. Recovery to local garage the only option. Not impressed that this hasn't been the subject of a LR recall. Will try local LR garage tomorrow to see if they can assist. Good to hear that some have succeeded!

Does anyone know if you can purchase the new bolts and get them fitted before the old ones fail as a pre-emptive move

Does anyone know if you can purchase the new bolts and get them fitted before the old ones fail as a pre-emptive move
I was wondering the same thing, also are the bolts easily accessible for a home mechanic (i.e. trolley jack and axle stands...). And are they even viewable without getting it up on a proper lift?

JLR UK are fixing them on failure, else where in the World they are being recalled to have the bolts replaced. IMHO I'm worried about the safety aspect. Sign this changeorg to gain attention and JLR to provide same level of response to UK owners:

Back
Top Bottom