• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Discovery sport

K99mn

In Second Gear
Hi, not posted on here since I was looking for a Landy3 years ago. This is also the time I bit the bullet and bought a DS from a JLR main dealer which up until this year has given faultless service, then came the dreaded rattle🤬 after much telling my local dealer my car sounded ruff as the proverbial bears arse they agreed and diagnosed a stretched timing chain. Luckily I had extended warranty so gave the request to get it done. Warranty company did their best to get out of paying but after what I call my ‘Mr bates’ ( the post office) moment the little man ( me ) won the day and they paid…after I had already settled the bill. The day the refund arrived in my account my Landy came to a grinding halt in the middle of the road and refused to budge. A low pressure fuel pump has been diagnosed and is being fitted hopefully this week. So now I’ve lost a lot of faith in my Landy. Do I sell or do I keep…the million pound question. My first thoughts are get rid and buy a nice early 2.2 getting few and far between or get an SD 4 but I can’t afford the 2019 plate versions. However there are several 2018 versions that are affordable, my question is does anybody know if the timing chain gear on the 2018 SD4 is the same as fitted to the TD4?. And is there a reason why DS Landrover don’t have a slot on here? Could be they take up too much space 😂😂

Hi guitar Mick, thanks for the welcome back. Mine is indeed the dreaded TD4 ingenium the SD4 was originally the ford unit fitted to the first DS up to 2015 ( mine is a 2017) however they fitted a 2.0 SD4 unit which I believe is an ingenium unit from 2018 ( earliest I’ve found) but these SD4 units didn’t suffer the same DPF filter problems because the DPF filter was moved as part of the newer fuelling architecture ( please don’t ask me to elaborate fuelling architecture 😂) so the same unit was also fitted with updated timing chains and tensioners during the 2019 build, therefore eliminating the stretching timing chain weakness of the TD4. Hence my query as to whether any knowledgeable bod knew whether the updated timing chains were fitted prior to 2019. As mine now has the new timing chains because the latest kit has to be fitted during the timing chain overhaul and I’ve never had a DPF problem my engine should be good …..interestingly enough my issues started at almost exactly 73500 miles!! Which if anybody googles timing chains on DS especially 2017 models this mileage is like a self destruct moment.

Hi guitar Mick, thanks for the welcome back. Mine is indeed the dreaded TD4 ingenium the SD4 was originally the ford unit fitted to the first DS up to 2015 ( mine is a 2017) however they fitted a 2.0 SD4 unit which I believe is an ingenium unit from 2018 ( earliest I’ve found) but these SD4 units didn’t suffer the same DPF filter problems because the DPF filter was moved as part of the newer fuelling architecture ( please don’t ask me to elaborate fuelling architecture 😂) so the same unit was also fitted with updated timing chains and tensioners during the 2019 build, therefore eliminating the stretching timing chain weakness of the TD4. Hence my query as to whether any knowledgeable bod knew whether the updated timing chains were fitted prior to 2019. As mine now has the new timing chains because the latest kit has to be fitted during the timing chain overhaul and I’ve never had a DPF problem my engine should be good …..interestingly enough my issues started at almost exactly 73500 miles!! Which if anybody googles timing chains on DS especially 2017 models this mileage is like a self destruct moment.
Good explanation 👍

Back
Top Bottom