• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Distributor cork washer - 52278

Im not sure my distributor had the cork washer previously. Now trying to fit over shaft of distributor. Is it advisable to soak in oil before fitting or grease?
Thanks

It'll be soaked in oil soon enough. ;)
There's no reason you can't use an O-ring if you prefer. If the engine has no blow-by past the piston rings and is in really good shape, that seal is completely unnecessary.

It'll be soaked in oil soon enough. ;)
There's no reason you can't use an O-ring if you prefer. If the engine has no blow-by past the piston rings and is in really good shape, that seal is completely unnecessary.
Hey Jeff! I'm right in the middle of installing the distributor you rebuilt for me (thanks!) and I ran into this same issue. The cork seal that came in my gasket kit doesn't fit and I wondered if the o-ring on the distributor would be enough. It's enough on an aircooled VW so it should on a Land Rover too I should think.

The only time you need that seal/O-ring/washer is when the engine is worn out. Its there to prevent excess oil from being pushed out along with blow-by from severely worn piston rings and cylinder walls. It doesn't matter if you replace it, unless you REALLY need an engine rebuild.

Back
Top Bottom