• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Do you worry what will happen to your workshop stuff when you go.

nickjaxe

Big Landy Fan
Yes bit of a grim thought.....but I hate the idea of all the stuff I have held dear to me for 50/60 years ending up in a skip.....or would that be the best place for it????.

Some people may think me a hoarder.....I have boxes of all sorts of nuts bolts wood screws self tapping screws....brass screws stainless nuts bolts screws of every type old imperial of all sorts.....AF....metrics.....stocks of metal for welding....boxes of landrover and my old BSA motor bike parts.

Lots of welding supplies rods ect ect.....tools....and special tools.

But nobody in my family would have a clue....

Anybody else had those thoughts.

Not thinking of going anywhere soon...but I am 71 this month....

I've started clearing out, its hard but a good feeling. One of the problems is that values have changed so much. Bags of nails (new) just get weighed in for scrap. there's no demand, very few people bang nails in with a hammer but today I sold 4 dining chairs that we have had since 1965 for £240 because they are "mid-century". I'm trying to replace "just in case" shelves of bits and pieces for actual useful things so a lot of metal is getting weighted in and the space now has an motorcycle in that I can work on so its more enjoyable. I now go down to the shed and "do stuff" not "look at stuff" or too often "look for stuff" and fail. I'm also paying people to do more so I don't need a stock of paint, screws, wood etc and I'm using that time to travel more.
Its a journey, its taken me a while to really get into retirement and work out how to use it. What I'm determined not to do is become "custodian and keeper of the stuff".

This is a subject that exercises me often, I'm 70 now and getting less inclined to crawl around under my car or Land Rover. I have a ton of tools, Jacks, engine crane and stand not to mention loads of sundries and LR parts. My son isn't interested but maybe one of my grandsons might be. This is one of the hardest parts of getting old: allowing your skills to die and having no one to pass them on to.

Just to take this a step further. I am wondering what the average age of the series enthusiast is. I’m guessing most of us are owners because these vehicles featured in our childhood. It’s one thing to wonder about the future of our tools etc, what about the future of our vehicles. Is there enough interest in the younger generations to keep older vehicles on the road? If not, their value will gradually drop, spares could dry up and they will end up as scrap. Apologies. - this thread is getting more depressing!

I took my next door neighbors workshop stuff when he died. His elderly widow just wanted it gone and was very grateful. About 30 years ago. I still hunt through the tobacco tins for a split pin or spring washer, I used his jigsaw just yesterday. My son and son in law are both practical with their own small businesses. But sad reality is they will just by new nails, screws, tools etc. Seems things are comparativly cheaper now? No idea what will happen to all my stuff. It will be a hassle for the kids I guess, some will keep and most will go.

I took my next door neighbors workshop stuff when he died. His elderly widow just wanted it gone and was very grateful. About 30 years ago. I still hunt through the tobacco tins for a split pin or spring washer, I used his jigsaw just yesterday. My son and son in law are both practical with their own small businesses. But sad reality is they will just by new nails, screws, tools etc. Seems things are comparativly cheaper now? No idea what will happen to all my stuff. It will be a hassle for the kids I guess, some will keep and most will go.
I have 3 or more of everything for that same reason!

I guess in days gone by, tools and equipment would be handed down to the next generation. I still have and use tools that my Dad and Grandfather had, but I think I am the last of the line. I don't see any of my kids being interested. I just hope, when I am gone, that my Misses doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it !! :rolleyes:

Sing along with Eric...
It brought back a memory this song .I used to have fruit stalls some years ago in east London …it would be pishing down with rain in the morning early and we would be pulling the old stalls out of the lockup up the hill along the market to the pitch getting soaked knowing very well we have to set up in this .and I would sing this song Always look on the bright side of life ..🙂🙂 great memories those days ..thanks for that Mr Stein

I wonder how easy it would be to add the age to each members profile so average age could be calculated, option of course.I have been saying since I hit 65 that I was going to start taking years of my age at each birthday never got around to it or I would be back to 58 years old.

What bothers me most about this is the thought that some bloody chancer will 'acquire' my tools at a fraction of their real value. I do think about making a list of what I've got with description of what some of it is and does. My son wouldn't have a clue about anything more obscure than a spanner or a hammer. I have brake pipe flaring kit, internal and external micrometers, special pullers and stuff I can't bring to mind as I sit here. Then there's two Mig welders, an arc welder, a compressor, a big bench drill and numerous power tools. That's without getting on to my wood working tools: A planer/thicknesser/circular saw, a lathe, a precision jig saw and many hand tools. A list would probably take me as long as I've got left anyway...

Back
Top Bottom