• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Dusty driving in the desert - filter questions

I'm more comfortable asking stupid questions on this forum ......
I'm currently travelling through dusty/sandy environment in Morocco. I have a snorkel and should probably put a sock over its mouth but suspect it wont stop much dust. If I went for finer mesh (face mask) would that restrict air flow? 2nd defence is the air filter which is looking fairly dusty and am going to clean with compressed air and change if I can buy a spare. I currently change the engine oil ever 5000km. Effectively after each trip of about 5000 to 6000km
In my current desert environment is it worth doing an additional oil change although probably wont know what oil is being used.
Any other tips would be welcome.
Ps I'm in the Toyota and trying to protect its 20 year old engine with 325 000km on the clock.
Thanks Jonathan
20231124_180636.jpg

You can get oil etc there with no problems, and in my experience its genuine stuff not knock-off, so I would change it more often if in any doubt...

Can you turn the intake to face backwards? Wont make a huge difference , but anything that makes a difference is worth doing.

I'm more comfortable asking stupid questions on this forum ......
I'm currently travelling through dusty/sandy environment in Morocco. I have a snorkel and should probably put a sock over its mouth but suspect it wont stop much dust. If I went for finer mesh (face mask) would that restrict air flow? 2nd defence is the air filter which is looking fairly dusty and am going to clean with compressed air and change if I can buy a spare. I currently change the engine oil ever 5000km. Effectively after each trip of about 5000 to 6000km
In my current desert environment is it worth doing an additional oil change although probably wont know what oil is being used.
Any other tips would be welcome.
Ps I'm in the Toyota and trying to protect its 20 year old engine with 325 000km on the clock.
Thanks Jonathan
View attachment 440436
Is that Kasbar Manabout..?

I'm admittedly a Luddite but I'd be putting my faith in an oil bath filter system rather than a dry element.
Or maybe a composite filter set up with both types just to be on the safe side.
I'd rather loose 10% of my engine power and fuel economy than loose the engine altogether

Turn that intake head around. The Saudi spec Disco 2 for example, has the air intake taken from an inlet on the A pillar rather than under the wheel arch, so it's obviously considered sensible to shield the air intake from dust intake. A raised air intake (not actually a snorkel per se) is intended to intake air up high and away from dust churned up in transit, so simply turning the head around so that it isn't ramming in dusty air should help a lot.

Thanks. I turned the snorkel round and annoyingly it fouls the door. PO left 20 face masks and they fit the snorkel mouth perfectly so will fit one tomorrow.
Is that Kasbar Manabout
Yes I think it's the same place you are thinking of. In the middle of nowhere. Auberge Marabout. Sadly not a good picture
20231124_131750.jpg

I think the the facemasks will be too restrictive. Just make sure that they cant get sucked into the tubing. They wont get further than the filter but could be a bugger to retrieve!
We had a nice meal there in the courtyard. Hardly anyone there. Bizarre place, seemingly miles from anywhere!

Thanks. I turned the snorkel round and annoyingly it fouls the door. PO left 20 face masks and they fit the snorkel mouth perfectly so will fit one tomorrow.

Yes I think it's the same place you are thinking of. In the middle of nowhere. Auberge Marabout. Sadly not a good picture
View attachment 440460

We arrived there in 2019 during a huge downpour!

F53DE6B5-DF04-4571-99B0-6D451F51EEA7_1_106_c.jpeg

Will go back one day I hope...

Well an interesting day stopped at chez Ali Nassir for the oil change. 6 hours later had the oil change, nipples greased , tracking done, air filters cleaned front axle removed welded and refitted, rear prop taken off and turned around ( although still not sure why). Wrong in their eyes but a 1990 toyota that turned up had a prop shaft in same orientation as mine. Will investigate further. But can always swap back. There was a crack in suspension mounting brackets so they welded in some strengthening plates and added s big piece along the axle. I feel I am now Dakar rally ready. šŸ˜. So confident for the next offload section.
The cost including sharing a tagine with the mechanics was Ā£350! And the car was pressure washed.20231127_150929.jpg20231127_162212.jpg20231127_165616.jpg20231127_153218.jpg20231128_143335.jpg20231128_143351.jpg

They certainly have the experience down there!
imagine how long that would have taken and how much it would have cost back home...

Did he show you his Aladdin's cave of spare parts..?

Back
Top Bottom