• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

EARLY DEFENDER 1985 FRONT VENTED DISC ISSUE

mikeyh

First Gear
Ive fitted front vented discs and pads to front of my defender 90 1985 and new stubs and cv joints,but now the drive phlange end wont meet up with hub by about 5mm,any ideas

Prior to 1990 its technically not a Defender so Im wondering if parts may not be fully interchangeable...
Can you compare part numbers of the drive shafts, stubs etc to see if they match?

It must be the shaft protruding too much if the drive member won't fit properly. The discs shouldn't make any difference so I would check the part numbers for an early ninety against a newer tdi.
Did you give the cv joint a good whack to fit it to the shaft?

Are you trying to do a mix and match or changing all the axle parts? Early 90/ 110 had a lot of unique axle parts, later ones used the same parts as Discoverys and Rangerovers.
What are all the parts you have used? Hubs, driveshafts, stubs, drive flanges, cvs?

I don't know why people do this conversion, I've read somewhere that there was actually no improvement in braking from solid to vented discs, people say its night and day, of course it is, you've just changed a set of fucked up solid discs to a brand new set of vented discs, if you'd of put a brand new set of solid discs and pads on your brakes it would be night and day aswell, cos you have new brakes!!!! I think vented discs were actually put on race cars originally doing 180mph plus and braking down to 60mph over 50ft to stop them catching fire, I think to be honest most of us would be happy to get to 60mph let alone brakes catching at that heady speed

Ive had brakes fail on a previous vehicle while driving down mountain roads. Dont ever want that happening again so Ive got vented front disks.
They cost no more than replacing with solid disks (if also renewing callipers) so why not..?

At the risk of arguing, your only changing pads or discs or both on solids as to changing calipers, discs, pads and other odds and sods and as the fella who put the post up the hassle of it all marrying up, 1 1/2 hours work to a days work for no extra benefit, only my opinion fella, sorry to disagree

LR changed from plain to vented disks on the front of the 90 around vin LA(something) so they must have perceived a need or benefit.
Unsure if the OPs vehicle at 1985 is different to my 1992, but on mine there werent any odds 'n sods and the callipers and disks were a fairly straight swap. My philosophy is that if something needs changing and there is a better part available, then you may as well use it.

Im not questioning whether its worth it as an upgrade in his case, but perhaps he tows or carries a lot of weight and lives in the mountains(!) or his old brakes were knackered.

So, back to why they wont fit...
I think you need to look at the parts manuals pages and check if there are any other changes to the swivels/stubaxles etc from the changeover VIN.

If you dont have these, Im not allowed to link to them for copyright reasons, but if for instance you googled something like "retroanaconda parts 90" then you might find them. ;)

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 08.29.25.png

He doesn't say if he changed the hubs, only stubs. If the drive flange is not meeting the hub it likely means the stub is protruding too far from the hub. The cv wont stop the drive flange meeting the hub. Early hubs had thicker drive flanges. That is why I asked what parts he has replaced, has he replaced all with the matching parts or just some of them.

Agreed Paul c.
You will see from the parts clipping that the vented discs were from LA vin range.
Which is when the 24 spline half shafts and hub seal improvements were made.
I’m my experience, 10 spline (pre LA) and 24 spline components will not mix.
Just my pennys worth. 🙄

As others say. If your only pootling along at 50 mph, do you need vented. My 1985 110 old discs and pads were shot so I changed for new stock standard discs and pads ÂŁ40 all in, and they stopped the 2 tonne old girl on a sixpence so to speak. When I had her mot'd I'm sure it was pulling something like 400 lbs at the front on the rolling road brake meter.

Maybe they changed the brakes after updating the engine that could 'comfortably' do 70 mph.

I've got a disco 200tdi in my 85 110 so a bit more power than the older 2.5s I regularly tow 1.5 to 2 ton and on standard discs and stop no problem, trying to stop the trailer coming round me is another issue

As others say. If your only pootling along at 50 mph, do you need vented. My 1985 110 old discs and pads were shot so I changed for new stock standard discs and pads ÂŁ40 all in, and they stopped the 2 tonne old girl on a sixpence so to speak. When I had her mot'd I'm sure it was pulling something like 400 lbs at the front on the rolling road brake meter.

Maybe they changed the brakes after updating the engine that could 'comfortably' do 70 mph.
Good point.
I bet we have all fitted things that we probably dont need.

I could have saved myself a lot of money (and quite a bit of weight) if I only bought and fitted essentials, but I go back to my point; if you were about to replace or refurbish your brakes anyway, why wouldnt you upgrade to better ones?

Its not like there is a downside to having brakes that are less likely to fade when needed is there? and the cost of vented disks and callipers are about the same as unvented.
Im failing to see a downside unless someone enlightens me...

I don't think there's a downside to it, and obviously any improvement is better than no improvement but I think and this is me personally think its a lot of faff and money for very little gain, just my opinion, and got to agree with @Fulltimedad with his last paragraph

Back
Top Bottom