• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

exhaust manifold: which pattern part?

Mnt_Tiska

In Second Gear
Hi Everyone,
I would be grateful for some pointers on an exhaust manifold for a petrol 2.25L.

As far as I can tell, original Land Rover exhaust manifolds are no longer available - in the UK or anywhere else.

I have fitted 2 replacement (pattern) parts but both have warped and leaked after less than 10 000 km.

Can anyone suggest either
1) somewhere that still has the original part
2) a reliable pattern part if the original really is no longer available.

Thanks!

Sounds a bit extreme I know,

BUT, if you can find one locally, (or work out how to ship it) you might be better off looking on ebay for a complete engine, as Ive seen quite a few go for £25, including the original manifold, so then you'd have all the spares from the donor engine also, all for under £50!

Try Dunsfold.com..they're £60 + vat mind..
Part no is 598473

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried Dunsfold this morning - they have a manifold for this part number (598473) but it is an after-market pattern part. Do you know these parts to be good? Have I just been unlucky with two bad replacements?

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried Dunsfold this morning - they have a manifold for this part number (598473) but it is an after-market pattern part. Do you know these parts to be good? Have I just been unlucky with two bad replacements?

Depends who made it really..who made your last two?

Biosbills suggestion is probably your best and cheapest but I suppose you can't guarantee if the manifold is ok.

Hi Everyone,
I would be grateful for some pointers on an exhaust manifold for a petrol 2.25L.

As far as I can tell, original Land Rover exhaust manifolds are no longer available - in the UK or anywhere else.

I have fitted 2 replacement (pattern) parts but both have warped and leaked after less than 10 000 km.

Can anyone suggest either
1) somewhere that still has the original part
2) a reliable pattern part if the original really is no longer available.

Thanks!
-------------------
Did you follow the procedure according to the S3 Repair Operation Manual when fitting the exhaust manifold when it was new - direct metal contact to the head using only a specified compound, torque up using tab locker plates on the bolts ?

-------------------
Did you follow the procedure according to the S3 Repair Operation Manual when fitting the exhaust manifold when it was new - direct metal contact to the head using only a specified compound, torque up using tab locker plates on the bolts ?

Yes, we did follow the instructions (direct contact with unipart exhaust sealant, tab plates and so on). Two different people were involved in the replacement job. The leakage that I am worried about happens between the inlet and the exhaust manifold (at the hotspot? or is it hotbox?). I have also replaced the inlet manifold with an original part. Examination of the exhaust manifold after the leakage shows that the manifold warps - putting the piece on a straight edge showed this clearly enough. The motor has not overheated or run very hot. It runs normal.

If no one has had a problem with the pattern exhaust manifold parts, then it is an important clue that the problem lies with something else - maybe the downpipe exerting torque on the manifold (though I would not have thought that the downpipe would be strong enough) or perhaps that the cylinder head is bowed along the exhaust manifold edge (never heard of this though). Given these possible complications, I thought it best to find out if others had struggled with the pattern parts as a first step. I know some pattern parts are pretty bad.

Thanks for the feedback!

It is about 5 years since I last purchased a pattern exhaust manifold and have had no problems (a friend had one where casting flash had fully stopped flow of exhaust gas down one branch). I always considered they must be manufactured by a UK OEM - possibly now they come from India or China ?

Back
Top Bottom