• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Freelander 1 - 1.8 - 2005 Gear Selection Issue 1 3 5 like there isnt a gate to slot

paul05freelander1

In Second Gear
Hi there, desperate for a bit of help. My 1.8 petrol Freelander just suddenly stopped selecting the top row of gears... its done 58k miles. It will go into the bottom row (2-4-R) easily and still drives fine... (limped home). The gearstick just doesn't head up at all from neutral, like all the gates are closed (if that makes sense)

Any experience of, ideas for what might be might be causing it? Any list of things to check from easy... up to gearbox removal would be hugely appreciated

Thanks so much
Paul

No other symptoms..?
Same with and without engine running..?
Hi Mikeau

Yes no other symptoms at all. Same with or without engine running. I’m suspecting it’s something inside the gearbox.... fearing the worst. And happened quickly. Struggled to go into 3rd a couple of times round town. Then stopped.

so drove to car park in 2 and 4.

then realised its 1-3-5

Im not familiar with FL so cant advise much. If it was me I would be removing the trim etc from around the gearstick and see if there is anything blocking it (bolt come loose and obstructing the lever mech or similar). Could it be something as simple as a coin thats fallen into the turret..?
I seem to recall that some FLs had clutch hydraulics issues, but I doubt its your problem or it would affect all gears?
Has it had a full service including checking gearbox oil lately? if not, then it could be worth draining the oil and refilling with new.

Thanks

could it be as simple as the oil? Feels like it must be more serious than that.

Ill give that a go. Thank you. Would be a very simple fix if it is that that’s for sure.

Make sure you get the right oil. It may be MT94? Its worth tracking down the right stuff if it is as many motor factors will try to sell you 85/90 and tell you its the same. Its not...

Back
Top Bottom