• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Freelander 1 Anti Roll Bar issue

LandyV8

Trekker
Hi All

I've got a problem with the anti roll bar on my 02 Td4. The anti Roll Bar is touching the shock absorber on the offside. At the weekend I replaced the shock absorbers and it looks like the anti roll bar has been rubbing for some time. On the nearside there is a good 2 inch gap between the roll bar and shock so i used the pri-bar to move the anti roll bar over to give the same gap on each side. All looked well so put the car back on the road for a test drive. Once i got back the anti roll bar was touching the shock again.

Any ideas as to why this would be happening or how i can stop it moving over?

Cheers

I might be talking out of my bottom but IIRC they're handed and a previous "expert" technician may have put a wrong side in place.

If you can move them with a bar, they are worn.

I can't remember now if they have small plate tack welded on to stop movement, some cars do and they snap off. Look at the other side.

Either way, you need new bushes.

Chris

I have fixed this issue.

As Templer says, there is a plate on the inside of the bush on each side to stop the Anti Roll Bar from moving side to side. However they are plastic and break off when the rust builds up underneath. I had some track rod end clamps in the garage from a Disco or defender. The bar is the same diameter as a track rod so they are a perfect fit. I needed to open up the opening so it would slide over the bar and then clamp into position. Cheep and simple fix.

Attachments

• IMAG0464.jpg
    IMAG0464.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 858
  • IMAG0467.jpg
    IMAG0467.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,531
  • IMAG0465.jpg
    IMAG0465.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 810
  • IMAG0466.jpg
    IMAG0466.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,107
I like those TRE clamps, I have used some large washers, hack-sawed so that they can be opened up to fit round the ARB and then bent back to original shape, they are then held in place with good quality jubilee clips. Cheap and cheerful and the oldest have been doing a good job for five years.

Back
Top Bottom