• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Freelander 2 Digital Radio

Hi
It is the 2010 model, instruction book tells me how to tune to DAB, but no luck, shows FM1 FM2 only!!
Will try email as you suggest, thanks
David

I didn't know that. How does the DAB aerial look compared to the standard FM only version?

I have a 57 plate HSE with DAB fitted. I was told it was one of the first to have the DAB radio fitted. The digital on the button of the non DAB radio refers to it being a digital tuner not DAB tuner.

The aerial for the DAB is in the rear side window, the left window holds the FM aerial and the right window the DAB arerial.

I have a 57 plate HSE with DAB fitted. I was told it was one of the first to have the DAB radio fitted. The digital on the button of the non DAB radio refers to it being a digital tuner not DAB tuner.

The aerial for the DAB is in the rear side window, the left window holds the FM aerial and the right window the DAB arerial.

My 09 plate HSE has two aerials - on the right hand side rear window with 5 "elements" and on the left window with 3 "elements". I also have a fuse in the fusebox in the boot with a DAB label.

If the FM / Digital button refers to digital tuning on my car, what does it say on your DAB radio?

My 09 plate HSE has two aerials - on the right hand side rear window with 5 "elements" and on the left window with 3 "elements". I also have a fuse in the fusebox in the boot with a DAB label.

If the FM / Digital button refers to digital tuning on my car, what does it say on your DAB radio?

The button still says the same FM / Digital but pressing it cycles between FM1, FM2, FM AST, DAB1, DAB2.
As far as I know all Freelanders have both the FM and DAB aerials even if they don't have the DAB radio fitted.

The handbook shows clearly the 2 types of radio available, a standard radio and the one with the 6 CD player.
The latter can have EITHER an FM button or an FM/Digital button.
With the FM button fitted, is just that, FM
If it has a FM/Digital button, the handbook refers to FM/DAB.
I too have the 2 different aerials in the read windows and a 10amp fuse in the Digital position in the rear fuse box.

Some free legal advice follows.

I presume (a) you purchased the car from a dealer and (b)you paid cash on a part exchange may be but cash went from you to the dealer. If it was HP or credit sale other statutory protection comes into play via the Consumer Credit Act which broadly equates to the following which relates purely to the sale of goods..

Basically, even if you purchased your car and it was second hand you can claim against the dealer for goods which are not of satifactory quality. In a nutshell you can repudiate the goods and get your money back without deduction. Since a defective radio is not equivalent to a duff car what can you do? Well the first thing is to take it back to the dealer (provided it is not a private sale)and say fix it, as the radio was duff, when purchased. He may invite you to go forth and mutiply at which point you say that part of the goods sold were not of a satisfactory quality but you are treating the sale of the car with the radio defect as a breach of warranty and claim damages in the small claims court for a breach of section 14(2) and/or possibly Section 14 (3) of the Sale of Goods Act 1979 .The damages claimed will be the cost of a replacement radio if it can't be fixed. Small claims courts usually means even if the dealer wins his case he is unlikely to get all of his costs back. In a nutshell it's going to cost him whatever and certainly time and if he has a brain he might realise this.Many of course bull**** on the basis you will go away. Now, there is also the possibility that the car was sold and reference was made to the digital radio in the sales blurb. If so, good show, because you can then say that the car was purchased and the price asked paid on the basis of how it was described and if it was sold with a digital radio by implication( if not actually expressly stated) this means a radio that actually works.This is then subject to section 13 of the Sale of Goods Act and treated as breach of contract giving rise to damages as a remedy on the basis there was a failure to accurately describe the goods. If he sold the car directly to you then he is responsible as you are in contract with him--not Land Rover.It is up to him to seek redress from land Rover not you.

:eek:

I found a Freelander DAB module for sale out of a wrecked one so it does seem that it's an add-on facility.
The trouble was that it was abroad and had no connection leads so I didn't take the chance :rolleyes:

I have the use of a 2010 Freelander HSE at the moment (courtesy car) which has the DAB working.
The main radio/CD player is exactly the same as the one on my '08 (non DAB) so it looks like you could retro fit the DAB module.
Anybody know where to find a wiring diagram?

Petition for DAB+ Firmware
Land Rover does not support it new car buyers in countries that have a DAB+ broadcast. DAB+ is in Ireland, Australia, Norway, Germany and Switzerland all with good Land Rover sales. DAB+ is the preferred medium from the old DAB used in UK. The web is awash with Land rover fans trying to get their vehicles changed to receive DAB+, Median the supplier of the sound systems to Rover and Jaguar Jaguar have the same system but it is programmed with DAB+ to its customers.

please sign our Petition for DAB+ Firmware use link below......

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/dab-radio-for-land-rovers.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just bought an 09 F2 HSE from a dealer. On giving the car a thorough going over I asked the (on seeing the FM /Digital button) I asked whether the car did indeed have DAB radio as toggling the button didnt seem bring up DAB. I was told that it did. After taking the car home I read and re-read the manual but couldnt get any sign of DAB. I took the car back to the dealer and one of the staff tried to (with some apparent knowledge) bring up up DAB on the settings with no result. I have reported the issue to the dealer and await a response. Since then I went on line and found this forum/thread. It doesnt sound good.
My take - having read the manual carefully - is that:
1. On the Premium radio the FM/ Digital button is explicitly about selecting digital (DAB) channnels. Anyone saying thats its about "digital tuning" is talking B@lls. (since when did car radios last have variable vane capacitors for tuning!?).
2. My '09 HSE has a Premium radio and the handbook states that DAB radio is a function of of the Premium radio. No ifs or buts.
I await a response from the dealer......
So has any progress been made in the last few years? (I note that FM switch off in UK occurs "between 2017 AND 2022".)

Hi I have just bought a 2011 MY Freelander 2 GS (first registered in May 2011) it has the premium stereo with the FM/Digital button and appears to have an ariel in both rear windows and the fuse so are we saying its worth taking it to a dealer to get the software updated ? I assume when ordered back in the day the stereo was upgraded as it has the full winter pack too that's not standard on the GS

Oh DeeJayCee any further report to give as we're a couple of years on now ?

Was there ever any resolution to this? I have a 2009 FL2 HSE with the premium pro-logic stereo, and of course cycling through with the FM button as descrobed on p28 of the user manual does not bring up any DAB. I've read through this entire thread and see mention of modules that could be added to the Apline system? Is this a module that needs to be added, a firmware upgrade or neither? Should I just abandon the whole thing and buy an aftermarket 2DIN head unit instead (probably with carplay etc.)?

Back
Top Bottom