• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Front Wheel Vibration at 50 mph

Paul Clarke

Trekker
Hi All,

Can anybody give me some advice about a problem I'm having with vibrations on my Defender 90 please?

The Defender drives lovely around town, then when I get onto a main road and slowly accelerate a really bad vibration of the front wheels starts at 50 mph, the vibration stays till I pass 55 mph then it's fine again and will cruise lovely above 55 mph. If I have to back off then the vibration starts again. The strange thing is if I accelerate a bit harder from 40 mph to 60 mph I get no vibrations through the 50 mph section.

I have had the wheels balanced and I have checked for play on the wheel bearings by jacking the wheels up and rocking them top and bottom, the N/S had some play which I lost by tightening the castle nut a little, the O/S has no play.

Where do I start looking now?

Drive shafts, Prop Shaft, Suspension????????

Awaiting some expert advice please.

Many Thanks

Paul

:camo:

When you get the vibrations does your steering wheel shake, and if it does and you put a bit of load on the steering wheel ether to the left or right dose the vibration tends to go.

Went through the same thing as you checked everything, i then disconnected the drag link from the steering box drop arm, i then turned the drop arm full lock one way and then to the opposite side, noticing when the arm was at full lock there was around 5mm of play i slowly moved it to center and felt the drop arm again and there was some play about 3mm
i had changed and checked everything else so i changed the steering box and everything was sorted out

i have also herd of others with the same problem and it turned out to be there back UJ in the prop-shaft causing there vibration
Check all your bushes as well

Clive

Check your track rod end balljoints. Play in these can certainly cause the symptoms you are describing. I know, I've had it in the past :)

If you can't find someone else to help you look at the joints (someone needs to turn the steering wheel) see if you can set up a video camera or video on your phone to film the joints one by one as you rock the steering wheel back and forth. If you detect play, change the joints affected.

Sarah

Wheel balancing would be my first port of call, check tyres for any bulges or rear of rims for build up of crud. Then its getting deeper. Play, as mentioned in all joints. Then swivel points and bearings. Last would be suspect steering box.

You're looking for any sideways play between the two components linked by the track rod ends. There shouldn't be any.

I hope that makes sense,

Sarah

I had a very similar problem with my 90, which turned out to be the UJ's on the front prop shaft. New UJ's solved the wobble but caused a droning vibration above 20mph, so a new front prop shaft was fitted and it's solved the problem.

I checked the track rod ends this weekend, there was no sideways movement on them when the steering wheel was turned each way. I can twist the bar/rod from back to front, is that normal?

I twisted the prop but could not feel any play, is this enough or would I need to remove it to check the UJs properly? I pumped grease into the nipples whilst I was under there, a fair bit went in.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

I've spoken to a mechanic friend about this vibration and he is convinced its the wheels.

I swapped a back for a front and the problem has got less, I only occaisionally get the wobble now on main roads.

So goes to show that wheel balancing on the machines cannot be that accurate, I'd better have a good look at the tyres and wheels and see if there are any dents bulges etc.

What worries me is that the tyres look almost brand new.

It's really easy to get the wheels out of balance, especially off roading. I found with mine I was getting clay caught on the back of the wheel in the rim which would harden and act just like a balance weight offesetting the lead weight!!

i am getting the problems had the wheels balanced the tracking adjusted still got wheel wobble at 50 MPH
had the wheels rebalanced Tuesday this week now i can go to 55/60 MPH before getting wheel wobble
all new ball joints fitted so i,ved ruled that out tyres look good
new bearing in swivel ball
so i am having the tracking rechecked today
that leaves the steering box?
can the CV joints be the problem ?
PD

Last edited by a moderator:
Youve updated a thread from 2012, so maybe best to start your own. :thumbsup:
When you do, can you give a bit more information on your vehicle..?
Make sure they set the tracking correctly for your Defender (I think it changed early/late models?) as many places seem to look up "Land Rover" and set the tracking for some other model...

no not that , it was wheel balance , went back to tyre place and had them rebalance the front wheels for the thirded time
to start i could just about do 50 MPH so had tracked checked and adjusted and wheels balanced
this made it worse so i went to different tyre place had them rebalance all the wheels ,
i could new get 55 - 60 before wheel wobble so i went back today and they rebalanced the front wheels and rechecked the tracking
tracking was in spec but balance was still out they rebalanced them now i can get 70MPH without a wheel wobble
so the truth is do not thick that you have had your wheels balanced they get it right the first time
PDD

Back
Top Bottom