• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Fuel sender wiring

Stut

Accelerating Away
Would like a bit of help with my wiring on my 200 tdi defender. Having rebuilt the beast I have a few problems getting the electrics to work as they should. Thought I was being a smart arse when I attached labels to all the wires just next time I should use a permanent ink. But it seems like I have lost one wire completly. I assume there should be 3 wires from the fuel sender unit to the the wiring loom emerging from the dash. I have only 2 and thus the fuel gauge will only go just past half full.

Any Ideas as the Haynes is about as much use as a BMW X5.
P.S the rear wiper now works a treat (same pen used on the labels) Thanks.

Stut said:
Would like a bit of help with my wiring on my 200 tdi defender. Having rebuilt the beast I have a few problems getting the electrics to work as they should. Thought I was being a smart arse when I attached labels to all the wires just next time I should use a permanent ink. But it seems like I have lost one wire completly. I assume there should be 3 wires from the fuel sender unit to the the wiring loom emerging from the dash. I have only 2 and thus the fuel gauge will only go just past half full.

Any Ideas as the Haynes is about as much use as a BMW X5.
P.S the rear wiper now works a treat (same pen used on the labels) Thanks.

No!

I also have a 200tdi defender and mine does not have 3 wires to the sender unit! Only a black and a green! I will be taking a look later, so will post some pics of how they fit if you like!

Mine is a 300Tdi but it also has just the 2 wires, and if i mind correctly black and green (or a black/green, something like that).

To see if the senders working correctly take the unit out of the tank and manually move the swing arm up and down full scale. You should see a like for like action on your fuel gauge.

I had a problem with mine and metred it out, metered out all the wiring from the tank to the rear of the gauge (which is easy to do), had the sender out of the tank and did resistance checks over the sender (again an easy check), gauge out of the dash and checked that out....blah blah blah.

Also check you have the correct wire in the correct terminal as if i mind correct i was able to only get the gauge to half full with the arm all the way up on the sender and this was due to me not having the wires in the correct terminal. Im sure there are 3 terminals but only 2 wires !. Just in case.

I found out i had a duff gauge allthough i did replace the sender as well.

I will check my wiring diagram to see what goes where.....

When I put the beast back together I tried heaps or various positions with the 2 wires on the terminals and moving the float up and down and the best I could get was my current situation.

Any help as to what terminals the wires should be attached to would help determine where the problem is knowing that the wiring is ok.

Cheers guys.

hi,

I also have a tdi200 , more than that , i have the original defender wiring diagram.

:)

according to the diagram , the fuel gauge have two wires ,
one : earth
two : green/black (black tracer)

so only two wires , you didnt lost one wire :)

cheers,
Amir.

walrus said:
hi,

I also have a tdi200 , more than that , i have the original defender wiring diagram.

:)

according to the diagram , the fuel gauge have two wires ,
one : earth
two : green/black (black tracer)

so only two wires , you didnt lost one wire :)

cheers,
Amir.
aye but does it say which terminal they need to go to?

1. I assume you only have a rear tank?

2. The third wire is used for the fuel low warning light - the circuit diagram shows this as White/Slate (but this might not be the case) - you might also not have the fuel low warning light?

Possible colours are White, Green/Black, White/Slate and Black

Good luck!

Afternoon! well i have taken some pics for ya mate!

This is my 200TDI fuel tank, under the drivers seat!

Wires are Black/Green and Black

and this is where the connections go!

Hope you get it sorted!

Attachments

• tank_1.jpg
    tank_1.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,612
  • tank_2.jpg
    tank_2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 3,850
  • tank_3.jpg
    tank_3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 7,303
Cheers for the pictures, will give that a shot tomorrow and will let you guys know how it went.

Back
Top Bottom