• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

General Fumes smell in cabin

ExpatLR

In Second Gear
LR Freelander 2 TD4 2012. I am getting a strong diesel and smoke smell in the cabin but not all the time. I can't make a connection with any single occasion but some times the smell is so strong, I fear it can be dangerous on our health. Any ideas? I am thinking one of two: either the exhaust manifold gasket has perished or a small crack in a fuel line spraying on the engine or exhaust pipe some where!

No idea on the freelander, but you can usually tell if its diesel burning or engine oil (or something else)?
I would be crawling under the bonnet and underneath so see if there are any obvious signs of exhaust (or other) leaks...

I may add; the thing that alerted me to start investigating and asking questions, was a sudden strong smell and smoke rising from the back of the engine. That happened one day two months ago, as we arrived at home after 35 mile trip. Having said that, I noticed the smell of fumes every time following taking the car to a trusted garage to change oil and filters including the cabin filter. That went on for a couple of years or so, but I do not drive very often. I visited the garage pointing the observation to the mechanic, who investigated but was unable to pinpoint the problem. I think I'll tell him of Big Sandy's simple but illusive suggestion ...... I don't know how that idea didn't occur to me (self kicked) ouch! I'll check tomorrow when it is a bit warmer than -5 degrees Celsius. So, if it it is the manifold casket, what damage should I expect to my spider webs ridden coffers? I wonder!

Hello, I have a 2013 L405 Range Rover Vogue, and the exhaust smell is driving us crazy, we have had the full exhaust system checked by two separate reputable garages, but found no leaks,
It comes into the cabin when sat stationary
It seem worse when the aircon is on, (it is 100% not an aircon smell)
It is at its strongest when I reverse back into my spot at home,
we have looked and seached everywhere,
the best Christmas gift would be if someone one here had experienced and fixed the problem
Fingers Crossed
Kindest
Stuart

I had a similar difficult to track burning smell on my classic campervan.

I finally traced it to a small oil drip which was snaking it’s way down the engine and dripping onto the exhaust. It only happened on longer journeys .

Back
Top Bottom