• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Gearbox Misery

spencer

Accelerating Away
Ever since I've owned Laughing Boy, he's been reluctant to get into gear. The problem has got worse. I've also had clutch judder and have taken to the bottle.
I have had the front props replaced as they had got to the stage where they were not really communicating. This seems to have sorted the judder problem.
The gears trouble though is really pissing me off now as the crunching is most evident when my old Dad is in the vicinity. He loves to be able to tell me that I'll bugger the gearbox and have a huge repair bill. I wouldn't mind but he drives a Nissan Sunny estate and therefore has no right to even comment on such matters.
The clutch pedal doesn't come off the floor much before the clutch engages so I guess this may be the root of the problem but my LandRover peers tell me that there isn't much adjustment to be had on the slave so it must be a mainshaft problem. They haven't looked at the slave so how can they tell?
The annoying thing is that sometimes you'd think the gearbox is the slickest gearbox ever made and out of a Rolls Royce.

Hmmm
Spencer, the slave is basically self adjusting. [Unless you have used one of those after-market kits with a large diameter spring that should never be fitted, that pushes the piston back up the bore]

I would refer you to the answer to the question below!

Check the cross-shaft & its fixings for wear. If not there, is the disc past its use-by date?

Ash

My brain hurts!It's a 2a that I've got and according to the Haynes manual there is a hydrostatic clutch adjustment thingy somewhere under the mud. Now this morning I lost a days work when the damn thing went over a bump and lost all transmission. I later realized that the transfer box had decided to drive an imaginary PTO by going into neutral! Bastard!

:p
I used to have one that flew into transfer neutral just when I was descending the steepest twistiest seat-sucking piece of terrain. It preferred to wait [if it could] till there was a 500ft drop to one side! Never did fix the box, but fixed the problem by dropping a chunk of wood between the lever and the bulkhead - but I digress!

The only adjustment should be the push rod from the slave to the crank. Normally this should be set [cant remember the dimensions off the top of my head]when a new plate is fitted, then left alone.

Ash

Well, let me see now...
I found that the gearbox has been behaving in the most impecable way since I threatened to slam it in reverse at 70 mph and the transfer lever only jumps into neutral when I'm changing gear whilst going over something as small as a matchstick.
The engineer that I sometimes resort to has done a fair amount of head-scratching and mumbled things about shedloads of money being needed for the repair so I shall think again.
What I think is the remedy for the transfer lever is to weld some sort of locking device to the bulkhead. As regards the gearbox, I think I'll have a go at adjusting the clutch master cylinder. I put it in last year and think perhaps I can raise the pedal level and hence have a better take-up and release. It's all happening too close to the floor for my liking and with the addition of a carpet set things are worse.
Watch this space for the next exciting installment....

OK Ash, I've got it licked! I've adjusted the rod thingy that sticks out of the clutch master doo-dah and the stop bolt for pedal height. Seems to be reverse compared to the old CB brake master wotsit. All of a sudden, gear changing is a dream and I no longer have to listen to comments from my old Dad about how I should never have been allowed to drive...blah blah blah.
I suspect he's got a Nissan related attitude problem.

Clutch Adjustment

Two types of clutch mechanism were fitted on 2/2A models, the early type up to 2A Suffix A, and the hydrastatic type from Suffix B. The early one has to have the rod adjusted as per the manual. The later one is allegedly self-adjusting and does not require attention.

Sorry to upset you guys but I can get more than seventy out of my IIA . It'll do 70mph all day long and it's only got a little old 2.25 engine. You'll be interested to know that South Wales Police couldn't believe it either and are having their gear re-calibrated as we speak.
Mind you, I told them that it wouldn't do 60 let alone 70 and they believed me. So perhaps they drive the "far superior" series 3's in their spare time...haw, haw...
Granted, I have done a fair bit of work on mine since I've had it but I would guess that with the right timing and something like a Weber carb anyone should get 70 out of their series IIA.
But please note, I never said anything about acceleration.

Finally, it amazes me when I see other people's Landy's, just how bad they are. I always figured that as I only shelled out £800 for Laughing Boy that it couldn't be a very good one. Since then I have discovered that people are asking a lot of money for some very crap Landy's . Mine's actually quite a good one which still works hard for a living seven days of the week.

Just you wait till I get my V8 back! Which, by the way, I only shelled out £350 for. :D And my 109 only cost £600. Ok, it looks a real shitter bodywork wise, but it goes will. My sister 109 did manage to spank it on the road though. Mabey because I have half a building site attached to my roof pretending to be a roof-rack.

So let's have a race............
No engine mods in mine other than a Webber but I wouldn't mind a track day now and again! I've done it plenty of times in a single seater but think racing a Series Landy round somewhere like Donnington would be fun...good entertainment for spectators too!

Race day

Sounds like a good idea, mine's a completely standard stage 1 and a bit tuned 4.6 in a lightweight coiler and will just about make 70 - screwing the nuts off it in 1st! (3 speed box)
I can't see the race circuits going for Landy racing though, not without roll cages, crash hats etc. - and lots of "run off" on corners at the end of a decent straight bit! Might be fun to do the rallycross stuff with proper kit - Warriors or Buggies etc. now that would be good telly, cos I bet that sort of motor would piss off most of the Porches that race in those classes.

Back
Top Bottom