• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Green laning in France - suitable routes

gavin1949

Accelerating Away
If anybody is considering going green laning in France I can supply, for use with Memory-Map's (IGN) 1:25000 French maps, an overlay of green lane routes – several thousand kilometres – in various regions including France Comte, Burgundy, Alps, Pyrenees, Ardeche, Loire etc. All these routes have been published in French off-road magazines e.g. Action 4x4, Passion 4x4 and Land over the past 10 years.

Normally, the magazines publish the routes in the form of a road-book. However, the quality of the road-books are usually appalling, towns misspelt, GPS points wrong - (the worst was off-set 2,500 km SE of the route), really useful mobile land-marks are included such as sheep and horses, as well as seasonal ones like fields of beetroot or cereals, important things like bridges, power lines and railway lines are often missing. One road-book had the diagrams laterally reversed making it a bit tricky.

I think there must be some sort of a competition to produce the prettiest road-book even though it is nearly useless. No wonder the French have never won a war, it's a wonder they could find the battle. Anyway I have carefully transcribed these on to the map so that they are pretty good. And the ones I have driven are OK. Once you have driven a couple you soon get the hang of finding your way about and figuring detours (farmers aren't keen on 4x4s and dump magaliths on the track).

The law for green laning is very simple, you can drive on any autoroute, route national, chemin rural, voie communal and voie prive that is open to vehicular traffic. A road/lane/track is closed if it has a sign at the start saying that it is closed or a gate/chain across it. In Parks Naturels and Forets Domenials special regulations may also apply.

It is strictly forbidden to drive off-road especially under trees (forests), meadows and alpine pastures, nor is it permitted to drive on beaches, sand-dunes or along the shoreline. Vehicles must be roadworthy. On the spot fines, impounding of vehicles and arrests can be made by gendarmes and park rangers for breaking the law.

So if anybody wants the routes overlay, let me know and I will email it to them. If anybody has similar route overlays I would be please to receive them.

Gavin Lawrence

I realise this post was some time ago. I have just bought Memory Map (IGN France) and would be over the moon if you are able let me know where ther are recognised green laning routes in France. I am particularly interested in Northern France.

I have tried to find out what a green lane looks like on the IGN map and NO ONE appears to know.

For overlay email me:-
[email protected]

What does a "greenlane" look like on an IGN map?

This is a question of great difficulty, all the people who prepare road books that appear in French off-road magazines check out the route first, so it seems logical that the routes given will be green lanes and marked as such on the 1:25000 maps but, unfortunately, this is not so. Sometimes the greenlane is marked as a parallel dashed line i.e. a track and sometimes as a single dashed line i.e. a path and sometimes as a GR path i.e pedestrians/horses/cyclists. You cannot conclude that all parallel dashed lines = green lanes etc., so you follow the rules:-

... you can drive on any autoroute, route national, chemin rural, voie communal and voie prive that is open to vehicular traffic. A road/lane/track is closed if it has a sign at the start saying that it is closed or a gate/chain across it. In Parks Naturels and Forets Domenials special regulations may also apply (in Forets/Parks the rangers often put a 5t rock in the route to emphasise that you aren't wanted).

The 'green lane routes can change from year to year as a result of edicts from communal mayors and departmental prefects. Local landowners will also claim the a green lane is their personal property and is closed. Adapatability is the name of the game be prepared to find a suitable alternative route and rather than getting stressed up go have a beer or a picnic.

I forgot, green lanes can also be single continuous black lines too.

If you are thinking of buying Memory Map for France, get the version with aerial photos, these are really useful when struggling to understand where the route goes.

[Hi gavin it would be a big help if you could supply me with the information on the green lanes in france as we are planning a trip next august many thanks keith

i gavin could you send me an overlay my email is [email protected]

If anybody is considering going green laning in France I can supply, for use with Memory-Map's (IGN) 1:25000 French maps, an overlay of green lane routes – several thousand kilometres – in various regions including France Comte, Burgundy, Alps, Pyrenees, Ardeche, Loire etc. All these routes have been published in French off-road magazines e.g. Action 4x4, Passion 4x4 and Land over the past 10 years.

Normally, the magazines publish the routes in the form of a road-book. However, the quality of the road-books are usually appalling, towns misspelt, GPS points wrong - (the worst was off-set 2,500 km SE of the route), really useful mobile land-marks are included such as sheep and horses, as well as seasonal ones like fields of beetroot or cereals, important things like bridges, power lines and railway lines are often missing. One road-book had the diagrams laterally reversed making it a bit tricky.

I think there must be some sort of a competition to produce the prettiest road-book even though it is nearly useless. No wonder the French have never won a war, it's a wonder they could find the battle. Anyway I have carefully transcribed these on to the map so that they are pretty good. And the ones I have driven are OK. Once you have driven a couple you soon get the hang of finding your way about and figuring detours (farmers aren't keen on 4x4s and dump magaliths on the track).

The law for green laning is very simple, you can drive on any autoroute, route national, chemin rural, voie communal and voie prive that is open to vehicular traffic. A road/lane/track is closed if it has a sign at the start saying that it is closed or a gate/chain across it. In Parks Naturels and Forets Domenials special regulations may also apply.

It is strictly forbidden to drive off-road especially under trees (forests), meadows and alpine pastures, nor is it permitted to drive on beaches, sand-dunes or along the shoreline. Vehicles must be roadworthy. On the spot fines, impounding of vehicles and arrests can be made by gendarmes and park rangers for breaking the law.

So if anybody wants the routes overlay, let me know and I will email it to them. If anybody has similar route overlays I would be please to receive them.

Gavin Lawrence

Back
Top Bottom