• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Hand brake gaiter

Just digging up the past here, but with the gaiter does it stop as soon as it hits the inside part of the seat box, or go through in to the cab a screw in to the part of the seat box next to your leg side? I have never screwed mine on as it felt like it stopped the transmission brake on the last part of being taken off.

Just digging up the past here, but with the gaiter does it stop as soon as it hits the inside part of the seat box, or go through in to the cab a screw in to the part of the seat box next to your leg side? I have never screwed mine on as it felt like it stopped the transmission brake on the last part of being taken off.
The latter - check out this diagram

Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 19.48.04.png

Pushes through the hole from inside the cab. But a lot of the ones you can get now are so hard they stop the handle working properly for the 3 weeks before they split. My gaiter adaptation is still working fine.

I am convinced that most of the rubber gaiters originate from Britpart, and that sellers throw away the boxes and say 'unbranded', because they are so ashamed to be using the name! The rubber is nowhere near pliable enough, just like their door seals.
Remember the 'proper' gaiters from Land Rover or Bearmach? The gaiter would stretch to accommodate the handbrake lever and it would last a few years, making it a worthwhile effort removing all those rusty screws. But a Britpart gaiter has already split as soon is you push it on, and the split will open up and render it useless after about 100 miles.

It sounds as if I am dissing them, but I have complained to them about their vulcanized rubber products many times and I have even spoken to their design team, who were apparently 'very concerned with the quality issues I had highlighted'. They will always ask you to return the products to the distributor/seller 'for inspection' who will replace them FOC (for another part of similar bad quality). When you contact Britpart directly you are given some spiel that it's so unusual for products to fail and that someone from Britpart will be inspecting it and working on correcting the issue right away.
WRONG! The distributor/supplier is instructed to bin the items and wait for a credit note! So I have no sympathy for them, they had their chance and they blew it. They are still making the same rubbish they were more than 5 years ago....

To think that they are endorsed by Land Rover themselves as the 'Official OEM Supplier' of replacement parts defies all logic.

Last edited:
If the stories are to be believed, there is such a shortage of parts that dealers have been advised to use 2nd hand or non genuine parts on vehicles.
A friend of mine worked at the Land-Rover warranty parts distribution warehouse in Desford a few years ago, and they would regularly ship out complete Range-Rover engines to dealerships under warranty exchange.

This company makes good quality rubbers for Land Rovers.
I second this post. I have Charlesworth gaiters and they seem decent. They don’t split apart putting them on!

Back
Top Bottom