• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

UK Happy valley 4x4 kent ..

Had a fun day out at happy valley 4x4, quite a few there & fairly local to me
One spring didn't pop back,I'd heard it clunk a few times. Lucky no tyre damage,a high lift jack to the rescue.
I'll get some dislocation cones, ready for next time. I didn't do everything some was just too extreme,for a 110 that I don't want to trash.
Paul D you like to do everything,but then the 90 is designed for abuse.
Mine needs a good wash now 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_20230521_103639015_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230521_103639015_HDR.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20230521_125801469_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230521_125801469_HDR.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20230521_125754253_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230521_125754253_HDR.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20230521_140615061_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230521_140615061_HDR.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 38
Has anybody been to this place it’s situated between Canterbury and folkstone I think of the A20 ..

looks a great place to visit, found another video online, sorry if you’ve already seen it

would adore to take my D3 greenlaning as the last time I went off road was in my old FL1 TD4 , alas haven’t had chance yet to properly see what the D3’s are like off road along with having the terrain response system

also be great to put the air suspension valve blocks into its cross link articulation mode , believe it will then act like it’s got solid axles fitted

at the end of the day would be brilliant to see the comparison between my old FL1 and current D3

Last edited:
looks a great place to visit, found another video online, sorry if you’ve already seen it

would adore to take my D3 greenlaning as the last time I went off road was in my old FL1 TD4 , alas haven’t had chance yet to properly see what the D3’s are like off road along with having the terrain response system

also be great to put the air suspension valve blocks into its cross link articulation mode , believe it will then act like it’s got solid axles fitted

at the end of the day would be brilliant to see the comparison between my old FL1 and current D3

There was a guy there in a D4 goes regular went well .he bellied out on a rather pointy bank but apart from that the electronics of the car made things very easy …
If you do fancy sometime in the future let me know and we can have a day out …all very friendly there .🙂

There was a guy there in a D4 goes regular went well .he bellied out on a rather pointy bank but apart from that the electronics of the car made things very easy …
If you do fancy sometime in the future let me know and we can have a day out …all very friendly there .🙂

many thks and indeed that would be fantastic to have a trip out sometime plse , plus very appealing where the course doesn’t look an overly scratchy one so to speak

also think I’ll leave candy at home seeing she’s getting older

plus will be a good test as I’ll be replacing all my brake callipers, discs, pads etc along with the rear lower wishbones as they were on an advisory mot notes last year, near side front and rear callipers were noted as sticking , so might as well replace the lot so it’s done and dusted , regarding the wishbone bushes there's just getting old

thks so much once again

I done all my bushes if some are gone,their all on the way out ! Or you'll soon find out how knackered & soft,the old ones are after a few runs.

funny enough I never bothered replacing just the bushes but replaced the whole arm where they were pre fitted , done the rear upper arms that were a nightmare , they had been left for years , had to cut them out not realising the bolts were hardened steel and locked solid due to no copperslip being used , went through numerous recip blades , can see in the pic of how tight the access is

for the rear lowers will again buy complete new wishbone arms , already done all the drop links with Meyle HD ones along with brake hoses seeing there’s 3 x on each rear wheel

this is the kit I’m going to get for the wishbones , along with both panard rods and the complete brake kit

some pics of when I done the old upper wishbones , plus was pleased the chassis was in really good condition , still looks good after treating it with dinitrol , also had to get some bush extractors when I done the top knuckle bushes and an hydraulic puller

however have seen many not preloading the arms before doing the bolts back up on new wishbones or forgetting to get 4 x wheel alignment done after replacing the rear uppers or front lowers

all good fun, lol

IMG_4618.jpeg
IMG_4619.jpeg
IMG_4620.jpeg
IMG_4621.jpeg
IMG_4622.jpeg
IMG_4623.jpeg
IMG_4624.jpeg
IMG_4625.jpeg
IMG_4626.jpeg
IMG_4627.jpeg
IMG_4628.jpeg

Also seen some fit those cheap orange poly bushes where some have broken the arm itself , also supposed to give a very hard ride

think the super pro bushes are ok but to be honest not worth the hassle and might as well fit the complete arm with the bushes already fitted that will maintain a nice ride quality and not too hard

some will fit the RRS wishbones but does firm up the ride due to being a harder type bushing

sorry I’m waffling again, lol

IMG_4629.jpeg
IMG_4630.jpeg

Last edited:
One spring didn't pop back,I'd heard it clunk a few times. Lucky no tyre damage,a high lift jack to the rescue.
I'll get some dislocation cones, ready for next time
I'm curious about this.. I saw these cones and guides been sold and assumed they were fitted to stop springs popping out..
What I don't understand is how do they pop out.. Does the standard set up on a defender allow enough movement of an axle for that to happen.. Seems odd to me.. Or is it because the vehicle has been modified with different shocks say, that allow excess movement and the springs to pop out..

I should imagine a standard set up wouldn’t allow the axle to articulate as much as modified so you wouldn’t need Dislocation cones ….
The springs are Only held in at the bottom that’s why you need them with say a 2 inch lift and longer shocks etc .saves them popping out .
I have them on mine .
DA1F34D0-FBDB-429F-804A-8B542CF4BE31.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom