• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Have Land Rover made anything as reliable as a Japanese 4x4

it comes down to opinion!

from memory the Freelander 2 diesel was quite reliable and I’m not aware of any corrosion issues like Rrc, disco 1 and 2, etc, p38 keep clear, l322 tdv8 has a reasonable reputation but expensive if it goes wrong. Disco 3 and 4 can be problematic. Not sure on more modern stuff like disco sport. Old Defender isn’t bad but you’ll end up tinkering a lot (not that it’s a bad thing!)

other than that then Japanese is the way forward, usual suspects in land cruiser, shogun, pathfinder, patrol. All very good or you end up down the pick up route…

I’ve an Infiniti fx which is good, but limited boot space, parts availability and off-road performance (it’s based on a Nissan 350z platform!!!) so great to drive but perhaps not what you want.

Suzuki Grand Vitaras, not the current ones, the squarer shape from 2007 onward are good value with proper 4wd transmissions but I would go petrol over diesel as the the renault based 1.9ddis is known for dpf issues, not so much of a problem if you do longer runs. I've sorted the wifes now but it still throws a light if she does lots of short runs so I have to take it for a blast to regen the dpf.

I've run a D3 for work and that did well, great towing weapon but youre always wondering if the crank will let go! Many don't but painful on the wallet if they do!

So for my money I'd probably say Toyota Landcruiser sits pretty high up the list.

I like the look of the pathfinder, drove navaras on the farm for a while. Spoke to an engineer recently who spends a lot of his time strengthening the chassis on them. Considering pathfinder or Navarra and getting him to stop it snapping in two.

it comes down to opinion!

from memory the Freelander 2 diesel was quite reliable and I’m not aware of any corrosion issues like Rrc, disco 1 and 2, etc, p38 keep clear, l322 tdv8 has a reasonable reputation but expensive if it goes wrong. Disco 3 and 4 can be problematic. Not sure on more modern stuff like disco sport. Old Defender isn’t bad but you’ll end up tinkering a lot (not that it’s a bad thing!)

other than that then Japanese is the way forward, usual suspects in land cruiser, shogun, pathfinder, patrol. All very good or you end up down the pick up route…

I’ve an Infiniti fx which is good, but limited boot space, parts availability and off-road performance (it’s based on a Nissan 350z platform!!!) so great to drive but perhaps not what you want.
We had a vitara, one of those with the fatboy arches. The drive drain was spot on with great 4wd. Rusted to bits though.

I like the look of the pathfinder, drove navaras on the farm for a while. Spoke to an engineer recently who spends a lot of his time strengthening the chassis on them. Considering pathfinder or Navarra and getting him to stop it snapping in two.

I looked at a T-spec pathfinder before buying the D3, good truck, a bit more van like, engine is less refined and I think theyre known for cam chains snapping but can be upgraded, I think billcar engineering in Shrewsbury do an uprated kit for them.

Depends which model and age a lot of Pathfinders and Navaras were mainly 2.5DCi's which are the ones with timing chain issues. They did do some with the v6 in too, which is probably a better engine albeit less commen.

I would go for Japanese.purely because they never hardly break down .a friend has a 2010 hilux he used to go around the world in .took 8 months without a hitch .still has it with no problems ..Toyota land cruiser can’t go far wrong excellent vehicle...🙂

Toyota land cruiser or nissan patrol for a solid, reliable vehicle. The land cruisers design brief was that it had to last 30 years minimum in a third world country before needing any major work. Says it all. 4.2 diesel is a great engine, big and understressed but not as thirsty as the petrol v8's. It says a lot that you've been recommended it several times on a Land Rover forum 😂😂

I watched a YouTube video of a guy going to pick up an early land cruiser ute from a breaker. It had sat outside for twenty odd years but started with a battery and fresh fuel and drove onto the trailer.

Id love an LC as my daily of I could afford one.

Serious question, I have an x-trail and need to replace it, I've got several old Landrovers but I need a reliable daily driver.
Any comments?
Perhaps you have been lucky with your X-trail but it does seem that Nissan (perhaps with French assistance😉) have succeeded in making Japanese 4x4s with the same level of reliability as modern Land Rovers - the 2014 X-trail and Disco Sport prop up the What Car? reliability league table!

I looked at the X-Trail back in the early noughties but was put off by some of the stories about big repair bills and went for a Mk 2 Rav4 - which we still have.

Navaras have well publicised chassis issues and no personal experience of the Patrol but hard to argue with a Land Cruiser but even the smallest Prado ones will be a big step up both in performance and cost from an X-trail. That said, the performance of Land Cruisers, particularly offroad can often be enhanced with green oval assistance. 😉

E672F0FB-DFB0-4B59-A20E-AE5E4C3A2759.jpeg
5C73F902-6105-4BB8-9FBB-734C6E428239.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom