• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Help fitting towing electrics Defender TD5

sweepuk

In Third Gear
Hello

I have bought an "Allmakes" towing socket which is a copy of the LR genuine tow electrics socket/kit. It is pre-wired with a large socket and several other plugs. Can anyone tell me where it connects into the Defenders wiring loom? The cable is not much longer than about a metre so it can't be far from the rear of the car. I can't see anything obvious. As it's prewired it can't pass through a small grommet as the plug is quite large.

Anyone done it? my dad seems to think the empty socket is in the rear below the rear window ready to plug in.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tim

Just looked at my RAVE CD, if you look behind the offside rear wheel there should be a mudshield above the rear crossmember. Tucked behind this, there should be a length of loom with a matching socket.

If you haven't got this, you have wrong wiring kit, need one for an earlier Defender with individual Lucar connectors on each wire. This is fed up into back of vehicle and and connected to loom behind a small panel that covers the back of the stop/tail light on the drivers side.

Thanks Sean, that's great, I will take a look tomorrow and get it sorted, it's a 03/04 model TD5 90 Hardtop so I assume I have the right "kit".

Thankyou

Tim

No probs. You will find it nescessary to know where all these electrical connections and earths are when you are chasing random Lucas electrical failures in the future!! :rolleyes:

I went to land-rover to get one for my D90 as it was still in warranty cost me the best part of £70 ouch
you will find if you have a hole in the back cross-member the Grey plug will fit through it
I made a plate that fits the socket bit hard to explain how I did it but hear goes:
I measured the hole and made a plate about 1/4 of an inch bigger all round
I drilled and files a hole to fit the gray plug through and three holes for the bolts on the socket, I then drilled two holes about an inch in from the vertical edge of the plate and cut two lengths of steel about about an inch wider than the hole each side I drilled holes and welded a captive nut on each fed all the wiring through the hole in the cross member and fitted it all in place. the two steel plates have to be worked in and tightened behind the main plate to they over lap the hole in the member,
I found this protected the socket and made the rear look neater I will post photos when it stops raining and gets light

Thanks, provided my wife does not have other plans for me :( I intend to take a look later today and get it fitted.

"scotchlocks & crud"

Yes definitely, however I had 3 wires "spare" with connectors which I don't know where they go. I wrapped them in a bag and stuffed them up behind the splash guard with the others in case they are needed at a later date.

sweepuk said:
however I had 3 wires "spare" with connectors which I don't know where they go.

More than likely
Earth
Permanant live
Reverse light feed

All for use with a 12S socket (the 'other' one, which has a grey flip-cover) It powers the ancillary circuits in a caravan

More than likely
Earth
Permanant live
Reverse light feed

All for use with a 12S socket (the 'other' one, which has a grey flip-cover) It powers the ancillary circuits in a caravan

Hi, Just fitted the landrover electrics kit this weekend on 05 TD5 110. Dead easy, found the plug as described earlier except that the cover of the plug had long since dropped off and the plug was fully of mud and some of the contacts had corroded. So snipped them off and wired them up separately. No probs.

But there are 9 wires that go into the plug/socket arrangement and there are only 7 pins in the 12N socket. Having looked in the Haynes manual it only shows the 7 wires. So the question is what are the other 2 for? The colours of these 2 wires are Green/Blk for one and Purple for the other.

Does anyone know what these extra wires are for?

Cheers

Peter

Hi, Just fitted the landrover electrics kit this weekend on 05 TD5 110. Dead easy, found the plug as described earlier except that the cover of the plug had long since dropped off and the plug was fully of mud and some of the contacts had corroded. So snipped them off and wired them up separately. No probs.

But there are 9 wires that go into the plug/socket arrangement and there are only 7 pins in the 12N socket. Having looked in the Haynes manual it only shows the 7 wires. So the question is what are the other 2 for? The colours of these 2 wires are Green/Blk for one and Purple for the other.

Cheers

Peter

Think I have sorted it. Looking at the other diagrams in the manual it looks like these 2 wires terminate in an "Accessory Socket". Green/blk is actually green/brown and is reverse, and the purple is permanent live.

Cheers

Peter
might be something to do with the fog lamp switch some sockets have a little switch fitted that are activated when you push the plug into the socket!

Back
Top Bottom