• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Help! Slave Cylinder Clip

banjog

In Second Gear
Newbie owner first post. Just bought my first LR (Defender 110, 02 reg, TD5, R380 gearbox) a couple of weeks ago and mid way through last week started to get gear change issues and then couldn't get clutch to disengage on drive home Friday. Managed to slip gear it home and checked master cylinder reservoir and it was empty. No visible leaks so assumed slave cylinder is leaking into housing. Removed slave cylinder but despite trying to avoid it the push rod and clip came out with it.

Got 2 questions:
1) The clutch lever is moving freely back and forth inside the housing - I can push it back into the housing and then get finger in and pull it back forwards. Is this right? I thought there should be pressure holding the clutch in place and assumed I wouldn't be able to move it back by hand.
2) Any tips for getting the clip on. I can seat the rod in the cup on the lever but buggered if I can then get the clip on the arm

Thanks

I managed to get the clip and push rod re-attached. Used a length of silicon tube over the push rod wedging the clip to the ball at the end of the rod and then using a high power torch and laying underneath, looking back to the opening in the housing was able to see the arm sufficiently to align the clip and push it and the rod back on

I managed to get the clip and push rod re-attached. Used a length of silicon tube over the push rod wedging the clip to the ball at the end of the rod and then using a high power torch and laying underneath, looking back to the opening in the housing was able to see the arm sufficiently to align the clip and push it and the rod back on

That is legendry work!

Back
Top Bottom