• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Help tracing a short circuit on fuse 15 and 16 on a 98 300tdi

bonus99

Shifting Up
Before I pull the vehicle apart completely, I wonder if anyone can offer some help with this issue.

First of all, its related to this threads/fuse-blowing-and-horn-sounding-issue-wont-crank.258162/

I thought I would start a new thread as that has a couple of issues and this is more about wiring and I will add the answer later, if successful :/

I have stripped out the dash completely and removed every plug and the plugs under the air cleaner which connect to the rear part of the wiring.

I am getting a short to earth across the RO and RB wires which go through the bulkhead.

According to the wiring diagram, the commonality between these two wires is P124 trailer pick up.

Where is this located?

Has anyone else had a fault like this?

Is there a common point that I should try?

The fact that both of these seem to be sharing the same fault suggest that there is a connector or point in the wiring where they have fused together. The only way to resolve this that I can see is to cut the tape from the loom and trace these wires until i find the issue and then tape the loom back up again, with self amalgamating tape I expect.

thanks for reading and hopeful of any suggestions to help with this.

Where do the red/orange and red/blue wires come from and go to? P124 trailer pick up? is that a towing (trailer) socket? if so I would start looking there.
Wires in the middle of looms seldom go wrong or short out, it is usually mechanical damage where the loom goes round a corner or a sharp edge.

Thanks for your reply, the wire is Red/Black, sorry, I should have said that. I have disconnected all the rear wiring. I just wondered if it went somewhere before the connector which joins the rear loom?

The wiring for the lights etc at the back end are plugged into the main harness in the engine bay. Usually somewhere around the pedal boxes. They then go into the chassis beneath the footwell and 're appear on the inside back corner near the fuel tank. From there they go up into the space behind the back lights, the connectors for the lights on other side and the trailer socket are also in this light box.
Red/Orange is the tail light for one side, red/black for the tail light on the other side.
From memory the only place they share a common feed is between the main light switch and the fuse box.

Well, after much time and running short of motivation, I finally found the problem.
The wiring was chaffed within the nearside wing, possibly from manufacture? It has been around along time due to the corrosion around the break.
All repaired, now to put everything back...

Thank you all for your comments
20200426_110903.jpg
20200426_111102.jpg

Back
Top Bottom