• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

hi

i believe it was shipped from army base in singapore and re registered here ,anyway the wireing kept overheating so i took it to a garage and he couldnt do anything for me ,he suggested another loom,im just wondering how to identify this rover,can younsuggest anything?

i believe it was shipped from army base in singapore and re registered here ,anyway the wireing kept overheating so i took it to a garage and he couldnt do anything for me ,he suggested another loom,im just wondering how to identify this rover,can younsuggest anything?
Hi jones …if you can post a picture up of the 110 let us see what you have .🤔

the previous owner used it offroad and had these big halogen type lights on the roof and front of the vehicle,i took themoff straight away cos ithought they might be drawing too much
power
Hi jones …if you can post a picture up of the 110 let us see what you have .🤔

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpeg
    IMG_0084.jpeg
    468.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0085.jpeg
    IMG_0085.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 87
That looks like the power in to the fuses is daisy chained in at the top.

If you average out the value of the fuses you have there, still in, that's 120 amps. Okay, it's probably half that, the fuse is a maximum, but that being said that daisy chain does not look like it's heavy enough to carry the load if you switch everything on at once. Be better with a bus bar maybe.

Course, I could be talking out of my arris!

That fuse box looks like a newer addition was it to power extras like aux lights etc?
If the wiring has been chopped about I think your starting point us to pull all the fuses out and see what stops working then label it. You might find that all that extraneous wiring can be cut out anyway.

Welcome to the forum. :)

It will be the lights causing the problem.
I would fit a separate fusebox just for the lights. Then run all switches through relays to handle the load. As BS says - don't daisychain the supply - fit individual wires back to a common screw terminal in a midi fuse holder. There are a number of suitable fuseboxes, but look for one that has one supply in and a strap common to all fuses. Something like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/37394461...2XCiyUbe7xmH3l/nNiaGeJskTk|tkp:Bk9SR7rNjK_6Yg

Hi there @basicblues jones , welcome to the Forum. I agree with @Stan the Man , that fuse board does look like a latter addition and would appear to be a early Defender board. I'm sorry to say a wiring diagram will be no use to you here so your best bet is to get a decent multi meter and work your way though the whole system, tracing each circuit back to it's origins and make a diagram as you go. You should have relay on anything with a heavy current draw, worth checking what has been installed
Do you have any Idea what year your 110 is? Is there a plate on the bulkhead (usually by the steering column, but not always) inside the engine bay. If there is, post a photo. The chassis number contains all the detail of manufacture and how it left the factory.

SALManufacturer code: Land Rover
LDModel: Defender (for early models: Ninety, or One Ten)
HWheel base: 110 inch
ABody type: 2-door: Pickup, hood cab, truck cab, or soft/hard top
CEngine type: 2.5 litre diesel (model 12J)
7Steering and transmission: Right-hand drive (RHD), 5-speed manual (LT85, LT77, LT77S, R380 or other)
BModel year: 1985 to 1987
AAssembly location: Solihull, UK
255818Serial number

The last fuse box was melting,I think because of last owner putting extra halogen lights in for his night time adventures in the mud in the woods,anyway I disconnected them,had another fuse box put in,the engine is still running hot,temperature needle is just about as far as it can go

I also got a new battery which is struggling to turn the engine over,I don’t think it’s charging,I now take it indoors at night to charge it,I went to a local motabitz shop and he said I need an earth strap,I got one,where do I put it?

Does the needle go straight up, or just after you been running it a while?

Just wondering seeing as you've been having electrical problems as it is.

Earth strap, engine to chassis, gearbox to chassis, starter motor to chassis, battery to chassis. Any or all of the above

Back
Top Bottom