• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

Horn problem - help needed

tails007

In Second Gear
I have a discovery 5 and the horn is not working.

If the alarm goes off i get the expected noise, so I’m assuming that the actual horn is not the problem.

When driving, if i press the horn on the steering wheel there is no effect.

Can anyone help please?

Hi, I own a 1998 Discovery 1, and a 2004 Discovery 2. Both do have a different horn for alarm issues. May be the same in your D5.
When old driving horns refuse to sound, often a coat of rust over internal contacts is the reason. I did repair these horns by connecting them 12V fixed and turning contacts adjust screw simultaneously. When contact does a little spark, horn starts to blow.
But this method is for very old horns, albeit here is no salt used in the streets.

Regards

Hi, I own a 1998 Discovery 1, and a 2004 Discovery 2. Both do have a different horn for alarm issues. May be the same in your D5.
When old driving horns refuse to sound, often a coat of rust over internal contacts is the reason. I did repair these horns by connecting them 12V fixed and turning contacts adjust screw simultaneously. When contact does a little spark, horn starts to blow.
But this method is for very old horns, albeit here is no salt used in the streets.

Regards
Thanks very much. I’ll need to look online to find out where the right parts are to check for rust… what should I be searching for exactly? ‘Horn internal contacts’?

Hi

If u have a multimeter get someone to press the horn button on the steering wheel to see if u have any voltage on the horn contacts plus not forgetting to test the earth

Would also be good to ensure the fuse is ok

on checking that if u get no readings it may be ur steering wheel clock spring , do all of the other buttons work on ur steering wheel plse , thks

Hope that also helps u

Hi

If u have a multimeter get someone to press the horn button on the steering wheel to see if u have any voltage on the horn contacts plus not forgetting to test the earth

Would also be good to ensure the fuse is ok

on checking that if u get no readings it may be ur steering wheel clock spring , do all of the other buttons work on ur steering wheel plse , thks

Hope that also helps u
Thanks, I can try this! Will give that link a read too, appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom