• Welcome to the Land Rover UK Forums

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to register then please Register Now

How much gearbox oil for L322

moveitall

Shifting Up
Hi,

I have today contacted my local Land Rover dealer and they inform me that I will need 11 litres of oil for the gearbox when I replace it. However, on the RAVE cd it states that when you drain the oil replace it with 3.5 to 4 litres.......what's going on???????

When I told the dealer this, his reply was: "In the experience of our technicians we have found we use between 10 and 11 litres of oil, I can only offer you the advice of our technical staff and trust their judgement".

Can anyone please tell me how much I will actually need because there is obviously a huge discrepancy here?

Also, does anyone have any ideas on how I can check the temperature of the oil??

Thanking you in anticipation of a reply.

There have been five different transmissions fitted to the L322 since its launch in 2002 and you haven't stated which model you have but, for example, both the GM 5L40-E transmission in the TD6 and the ZF 5HP24 in the BMW 4.4 V8 have a dry capacity of just under 10 litres. However, when carrying out a drain and refill, around half of the fluid is trapped inside the torque converter, clutch lines and valve block so around 5 litres is all that you can get out and subsequently back in again.

The fluid temperature can be checked with a cheap non-contact IR laser thermometer - they cost around £15

There have been five different transmissions fitted to the L322 since its launch in 2002 and you haven't stated which model you have but, for example, both the GM 5L40-E transmission in the TD6 and the ZF 5HP24 in the BMW 4.4 V8 have a dry capacity of just under 10 litres. However, when carrying out a drain and refill, around half of the fluid is trapped inside the torque converter, clutch lines and valve block so around 5 litres is all that you can get out and subsequently back in again.

The fluid temperature can be checked with a cheap non-contact IR laser thermometer - they cost around £15

Hi,

Firstly, thank you very much for your helpful response.
Yes, I omitted to mention it's an early 2004 TD6, so I presume it's the GM gearbox.
Is it difficult to do and with your experience any advise would be much appreciated.
Oh, and can you please tell me where I can get this IR Laser Thermometer from?

Much appreciated.

This is the procedure for getting the fluid level right (the most important part being that you must have the engine running when the final level is set) :

TD6transmissionfluidlevel.jpg

Make sure that you use the right fluid – you'll probably need between 4 and 5 litres

TexacoTexamatic7045E.jpg

You can get the thermometer off eBay

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the procedure for getting the fluid level right (the most important part being that you must have the engine running when the final level is set) :

TD6transmissionfluidlevel.jpg

Make sure that you use the right fluid – you'll probably need between 4 and 5 litres

TexacoTexamatic7045E.jpg

You can get the thermometer off eBay
Hi,

Thank you very much really like the pictures.
Like the improvised pumping kit...BRILLIANT!!

I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE A GOOD TIME TO REPLACE FILTER TOO!!

My local dealer wants £116.16 just for the filter. Do you have any advise on this matter? Any helpful tips on replacing filter would be much appreciated.

Thank again!

Yep, that's for the kit which includes the steel/rubber sump gasket and the bolts

Filterseals.jpg

Sumpremoved2.jpg

You could try Googling 'THE500031' to compare prices but I would warn you that there's a lot of cheap pattern parts about and I would strongly recommend that you fit a genuine Filtran filter.

Assuming your L322 is still on its first transmission (?) you've reached the age (mileage between 80k & 100k?) where the torque converter lock-up clutch begins to fail and deposit metallic debris into the sump, so the filter is especially important!

Back
Top Bottom